Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Need Help! Quickly!!!

Hi,

I've got an opportunity to pick up a vintage (1950s/60s?) Gretsch shell with original wrap, lugs, t-rods, rims, muffler assembly and snare butt. It doesn't have a strainer, badge, or snare wires. The drum's in EXCELLENT shape cosmetically. The finish looks similar to Ludwig's Vintage Sky Blue Pearl.

I'm not really that familiar with Gretsch Snares, so I've tried to do some quick research. From what I've found, I believe that this particular snare drum is a Broadkaster Floor Show Model. It's in a 6 1/2 x 14 configuration with a wooden shell and die-cast hoops. It's got 16 separate small tom-tom lugs.

I've got 5 hours to decide whether or not I want to purchase it for $100, so I'm hoping that you "experts" can answer several questions that I've got.

Soooooooooooooo............ here goes:

1. Did Gretsch make snare drums in the 50s/60s WITHOUT wooden reinforcement rings on the shells?

2. Did Gretsch make snare drums in the 50s/60s WITHOUT the interior shell being painted grey?

3. Did all Gretsch snare drums during this period have the Gretsch labels on the interior of the shells?

4. Does anyone know the hole pattern of the Gretsch Micro Sensitive Strainer? The shell on this drum has been drilled for a strainer, but the strainer is not included, as stated previously. I'm trying to find out if the holes in the shell on this one were drilled for this particular strainer.

5. Did all the Gretsch snare drums produced in the 50-s/60s have holes drilled for the Gretsch drum key or was this just on specific models?

6. Would it be worth picking this one up for $100 as described above?

ANY AND ALL "quick" responses would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your help!Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

Greetings Old School.

This is the best I could do.

:)

1. Did Gretsch make snare drums in the 50s/60s WITHOUT wooden reinforcement rings on the shells?

Yes.

2. Did Gretsch make snare drums in the 50s/60s WITHOUT the interior shell being painted grey?

If so, they are generally thought to be anomolies.

3. Did all Gretsch snare drums during this period have the Gretsch labels on the interior of the shells?

To my knowledge, yes.

4. Does anyone know the hole pattern of the Gretsch Micro Sensitive Strainer? The shell on this drum has been drilled for a strainer, but the strainer is not included, as stated previously. I'm trying to find out if the holes in the shell on this one were drilled for this particular strainer.

I've only seen the "Floor Show" with the "Lightning" throw which was later.

5. Did all the Gretsch snare drums produced in the 50-s/60s have holes drilled for the Gretsch drum key or was this just on specific models?

Lordy, it seems every Gretsch snare has one...

6. Would it be worth picking this one up for $100 as described above?

Without pics or badge I have ???, but you sure can't buy much ( let alone a cool drum ) for $100.00 these days...

My .02 Worth

ANY AND ALL "quick" responses would be GREATLY appreciated.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

Gretsch snares did not start painting the shells gray until '59 or something like that. And the tags came even later. So, if it's 3 ply, then no paint, no tag, no re-rings are all correct. It might even have a date or Gretsch stamp inside. The microsensitive strainer uses three holes in the shell forming a small triangle. You'll want to be sure the drum is real because those strainers get expensive - $150+.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey, Roscoe!

THANKS SO MUCH for the quick and informative response. I certainly appreciate the help.

Since I'm not too familiar with Gretsch snare drums, I'm also not familiar with the "Lightning Throw" that you mentioned. Do you have any idea how many holes would need to be drilled into the shell to mount this particular strainer? Would it be four or five perhaps? I believe that's what I recall seeing on the shell of the drum I'm considering.

I also noticed a stamp on the inside of the shell when I looked at it. It was from a Music Store in Canada. I'm not sure if the drum might have been purchased there or perhaps it was taken there for some sort or maintenance or repair. Just thought I'd mention it.

I do love the looks of the drum, with the double row of small lugs and the bluish/grey pearl finish, which is in great shape.

The interior of the wooden shell, although not painted grey, does look in really nice shape also, other than some hairline cracking were one of the lugs is mounted.

Again, for $100 I thought maybe it would be a nice addition to my meager snare drum collection. However, if I couldn't find the parts to complete the drum I guess I'd be wasting the $100.

THANKS AGAIN for your time and your help!:)

Posted on 17 years ago

mlvibes & roscoe:

I was looking under the "COMPLETED ITEMS" on E-Bay for VINTAGE GRETSCH SNARE and they've got one that sold for $411 that looks exactly like the one I'm considering.

mlvibes: You are correct in regard to the date stamp on the interior of the shell. I did notice a stamp but, unfortunately, since I didn't bring my "mini magnifying glass" with me and my eyes aren't the greatest anymore I couldn't make out the date. I do belive, however, that it was in the 50s. In regard to the microsensitive strainer, I do recall three holes forming a small triangle, as you described. However, I thought I also saw two small horizontal holes below the triangle. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't believe so. Based on the above, would you spend $100 on this one? Just wondering!

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU for all of your help!Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

The only original hole combinations, as far as I know, would have been 3 holes for a micro or 4 holes in a rectangle for a renown strainer. microsensitive strainers often broken, so it is common to have extra holes in that area.

So...$100 for the drum. Figure $150 for a nice, complete micro strainer in good shape. $75 for another badge. You're talking $325 total. If you like the drum as something you would enjoy personally to play, definitely a good deal. If you were going to buy the drum to resell on ebay, you could probably make a little money. If there's no extra holes, and you restore and replace all the missing parts, I've seen drums like this in great shape go for over $800.

Posted on 17 years ago

mlvibes:

THANKS AGAIN for the information and the additional feedback.

If I do pick it up, perhaps you could provide your email and I could take a pic of the hole pattern in the shell and send it to you to take a look at, if that wouldn't be an inconvenience for you.

Posted on 17 years ago

of course! I'll pm my email. There's plenty of others here as well that know Gretsch better than I do, maybe they'll chime in.

Posted on 17 years ago

No problem.

That's why we're all here. Yes Sir

The "Lightning" throw was distinct in that the butt plate

had the tension knob and the throw was a drop down

mechanism.

From what I remember, a 4-hole mount pattern.

Always loved the look of this gal, and to mlvibes point,

sure sounds like a winner all around.

Pics will certainly help and regardless, U can fabricate a

plate that will maintain the original condition.

Absolutely include me on a PM with your progress...

SMc.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

mlvibes & roscoe:

I did pick the drum up and took several pictures of the shell exterior and interior. I also took some pics of the holes where the strainer's supposed to mount.

Unfortunately, not being technically proficient, I'm not really sure what it means when you say that you're going to "PM" your email. Please let me know so that I can forward some of the pics for your viewing and comments.

THANKS to both of you for all of your help!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here