Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

My New "Vintage" Downbeat kit!

Drum roll, please! I finally took pictures! These are the drums I talked about months ago. It took a long time to get these the way I wanted them. What you see is a new Ludwig Classic Maple "Downbeat" kit, in stunning Galaxy Sparkle. This one picture doesn't do the kit justice. I need to use a different hosting service to display these drums so you can see the Galaxy Sparkle! Sizes are:

14x20 - large Classic lugs

8x12 - small Classic lugs

14x14 - large Classic lugs

5x14, 8-lug - Classic lugs

The bass drum was ordered "virgin" and I installed a beautiful rail consolette and first generation P1216A brackets for the legs. I also swapped the original P1216D brackets on the floor tom with P1216A brackets as well. For those of you not familiar with the "A" version, the inside is built like a tank! Both toms and snare drum have mufflers for a vintage look as well.

There were issues with bearing edges on the toms and snare drum, but all have been corrected by my friend, Chris Heuer. The drums are know simply incredible to play and a joy to look at!

I had asked for sequential serial numbers, but Ludwig told me they couldn't honor that request. Well, guess what? I have 4 consecutive serial numbers on the badges!

I'll post more pictures soon.

While not a true "vintage" kit, I wanted to pay homage to Ludwig's golden years with this kit. I sent pictures to Ludwig and even they were impressed with what I have done!

I hope you all enjoy looking at my kit!

Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Here's a closeup showing more of the tom holder and finish. Still not as clear as I'd like!

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice job, man...those tubs are killer! I love the Black Galaxy wrap and when I get to wrapping my next drum kit, that wrap is on the to of my list. Enjoy them until you can no longer play...

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

Very nice! What were the issues with the bearing edges?

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

Mark!

You have more then "paid homage to Ludwig's golden years"... absolutely GORGEOUS! The very 1st set my parents bought for me.. ( in 1967 no less! ) .. was the Ludwig Downbeat. These took me all the way back. BEAUTIFUL!

Tommyp

Posted on 11 years ago

Real nice! I have been thinking that I just want one kit that can kind of do it all and that looks like it could be it! I think those sizes are perfect for any situation! What heads do have on them, especially the kick? Also, can you get a better pic of the spurs??

Thanks

Posted on 11 years ago

I can vouch for Mark as this is a true homage to a great classic kit. I've had the opportunity to see it and play it (gently, as Mark knows I'm a basher!!) and it sounds as good as it looks. The 14 floor tom is IMO is the shine on this diamond, it is magical as is the whole kit.

Bearing edge issues I heard a lot of firsthand and I know that Mark is a perfectionist to the truest word and I'm glad he got them fixed!!

Nice work and kit Mark!!

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 11 years ago

beautiful. i love 'em. thats a beautiful color. like what you did with them. ive got an original galaxy kit. but i also have a snare and a canister throne in the same wrap that you have. cool stuff!

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

From ElMoonlightDrummer

Nice job, man...those tubs are killer! I love the Black Galaxy wrap and when I get to wrapping my next drum kit, that wrap is on the to of my list. Enjoy them until you can no longer play...

Thanks for the compliments! As Purdie Shuffle mentioned in another post, Galaxy Sparkle is not available to the public. It's a special finish offered to a select few dealers. I happened to see it on a Legacy kit at Professional Drum Shop in Hollywood and loved it! When I downloaded the order guides for the Maple Classic series, this color is not even listed! You have to write it at the top of each page for each drum. Even Ludwig's website gives no indication that it's available! I've been in contact with Randy Wagers at Ludwig and he informs me that he'll be discussing this with others to bring this finish to the masses! For now, it's nice knowing that it's a limited finish!

Posted on 11 years ago

Those are simply stunning. I guess they can make 'em like they used to (with a lot of effort!). Well done! Take it as a compliment when your kit ends up as a Ludwig catalog offering in the future. I want one!

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here