Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

My 78 Rogers are about ready for heads... any suggestions?

My 78(ish) Rogers kit is coming along nicely and the rack toms are ready for heads... I know its wide open on what sound you're looking for, but who's got some ideas on what they like the best??? I'm leaning toward smooth white Emporer or Ambassador, open warm sound. Keep in mind they are 14", 15", and 18" toms...

Check out some before and after pics below... Clapping Happy2

[Attachment: 7883]

[Attachment: 7884]

[Attachment: 7885]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nice set of Big R's...are the shells 3-ply grey painted or the thicker XP-8 natural maple interiors ?????[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I thought the gray painted ones were five ply. I have some Big R drums from jussssst over the "borderline" when they first transitioned to the Memriloc stuff. I ordered the kit in winter of '74. It showed up in January of '75. Looking back, I wish I had gotten the Swivomatic version I intended on, but when the Memriloc set showed up, it was so advanced looking from any other drums of that era, i fell in love with them. And I'll say this much....I bought a Black Cortex wrap on mine and those things wore like iron! They are as good today after numerous tours in the late 70's and early 80's as they were. Yes, a few scratches here and there. But no wrap problems. No ply separations. No broken/cracked metal parts. Overall, I rate the Big R drums as the best road worthy drums I've ever owned. of course, to be fair, I was never interested in vintage drums 10 years ago. It's a relatively new thing for me.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nice set of Big R's...are the shells 3-ply grey painted or the thicker XP-8 natural maple interiors ?????[/COLOR]

3 ply grey and speckled... memri-locs and stinkin' HUGE!!!! Some of the toms are 'more' speckled than others... not sure why... when I put the serial numbers up here for yall in Feb I think it was Ploughman that said they were about a 78 series...

Made one repair that is not permanent, but should keep the spur mounts from further pulling through the kick shell. After I did it I saw that Rogers had done the same thing on later models... Put a pic of my repair below.

I have loved restoring this kit, its been great...

Any suggestions on heads anyone??? [Attachment: 7962]

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Remo clear Ambassadors for the toms -clear or coated Emperor batter for the bass and a coated Ambassador front -muffle with a felt strip or a vintage external clamp-on muffler

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Very sweet... want to get a Rogers sticker for the kick head... think it would stick to a coated head? Ever try? Ever seen any 24" Rogers kick heads lately?

Posted on 15 years ago

I've got several brands stickers on coated heads - no problems. I tension them and THEN put on the sticker. It makes sense if you think about it.

Posted on 15 years ago

24" Rogers ....................

I have coated Ambs and Clear Ambs on my set, from about the same vintage. PS3 Batter on the bd, with a Fiberskyn medium on the Reso.

Something you might want to do.

[IMG]http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/42237/2495516720028342110S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG]

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Ploughman, or anybody else for that matter, whats the best way you've found to really clean/shine the kick legs and the tom arms?? They're not smooth as you know, kinda 'pebbly' I call it and really hard to get somewhat 'shiney' again... any thots?

Thanks for the ref on heads. I was going coated or smooth white, still not sure...

Posted on 15 years ago

Ive used soapy water and a soft scrub pad.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here