Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Mold removal

Hey guys. I have done some searching here and, frankly I should know how to handle this bu alas, I apparently do not.

I just bought a rather high dollar kick drum that has a little mold in the bottom where the previous owner left some padding in a damp environment. Any suggestions on how best to remove it? I would prefer not to sand if possible.

Thanks!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Try a warm damp cloth with a dash of white vinegar added.. and then re assess it when it dries off.. vinegar should kill off the mould...

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

Scott - Whatever you do - DO NOT SAND-! When working with any unknown mold, you have to wear protective gear when dealing with it. ie; rubber gloves, face mask, and eye protection. You don't want to get mold particles in your lungs. The warm, moist environment in your lungs is -ideal conditions- for it to grow and spread. Molds are dangerous. Sanding will only fill the air with mold spores. You don't want to expose yourself, or any family members to it. Deal with it outdoors in a well ventilated area. I'd go with a bleach & water concoction. If you use something store-bought just follow the supplied instructions, but please... be careful messing with any molds.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

I second what john said. Bleach will kill the mold and should take out the dark spots. But do it outside n be careful.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 10 years ago

White Vinegar works well in removing mold...soak some absorbent paper towels with the vinegar, place the soaked paper towels on the mold, leave it there for a few hours, it will kill the mold. Repeat if necessary.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 10 years ago

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back what I find.

Thanks as well for the words of caution Purdie and Robyn. Good to have folks watching your back!

By the way John, there was an article on Lititz being the rock and roll capital of the world in the Wall St Journal this week. One of my projects had a photo in there as well.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Lititz is close by! There is a pretty active/busy music scene here in Reading. I was surprised when I first moved out here from NYC about 7 years ago now. Next time you're up here pm me or call me.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

A little pillow mold in the bottom means a lot happened first. Got a pic ? If you can`t wash it off the sheen, then it goes through layers.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the head's up Oddball. I'll see if I can post a pic on Monday when I get back to the shop. It's pretty minor mold but I would like to get rid of it.

Yeah John. No joke. Just about every major tour on the planet has some connection to Lititz, PA. With the completion of Rock Lititz there will be an even stronger connection. Just wait until the Stones or U2 or someone of that caliber move to town for a month and a half at a time.

tnsquint
Posted on 10 years ago

Another reason for never putting anything in a bass drum but air.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here