Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Marching drum restoration

Hi guys, I picked up this neat drum the other day, just had to have it. The Sligerland book dates it between 1929- 1941 being on the earlier side due to the lettering etched into the badge.

I know what to do with cleaning and all but was wondering if I should keep the original snare wires and calf head. The snare side head is missing, it had a remo head on it so I know those will fit. But being a single tension design should both heads be either calf or modern? I have never tucked a calf head and would be fun to try it. Should there be a flesh hoop on the snare side? I think I see one on the batter side but Im not really sure what that is actually. I would appreciate any input or advice on the heads and wires. Not sure if this will be a tom for my upcoming Levon Helm kit or not, just bought it because it was cool, and priced very reasonably.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

Wow!!! What a beauty Jeff. The eagle transfer is in excellent shape. What size is it? Would be a very cool addition to the Helm kit. I'm not much help history wise but would think calf heads came on it due to it's age. Calf or plastic would both sound great. I have a 15" snare shell I made into a tom. I put a Evans reso glass head on the bottom. It's too thin for the snare bed wrinkles. Something thicker in my case might help with tuning for a tom. Or I might make it a snare again too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Glenn, its 10 x 14

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

Hey Jeff!

A cool drum! I've got the baby brother...the 8x13 Junior Boy Scout. All original, from about 1928 to mid 30's. Good luck with your restoration!

-Mark

3 attachments
134.4 kB
108 kB
135.8 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

From idrum4fun

Hey Jeff!A cool drum! I've got the baby brother...the 8x13 Junior Boy Scout. All original, from about 1928 to mid 30's. Good luck with your restoration!-Mark

Awesome! so is mine a senior boy-scout,lol. I assumed it was a military drum.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

That's a beautiful drum, Jeff! I too really appreciate marching drums. I have a 15 inch Star I use as a third tom tom. It barely fits in a snare stand but, it booms out like thunder! Your drum will sound great!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

From jccabinets

Awesome! so is mine a senior boy-scout,lol. I assumed it was a military drum.

Funny Post

Your drum should sound good when tuned up. I was quite surprised at how good mine sounds!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Very cool. I had one much like it, midnite blue with nicely worn gold hoops....shoulda kept it. :)

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Great drum!! You will have fun with that project.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Very cool drum. When I was in high school I wanted to get one of the old Ludwig marching snares and make it a Tom to match my pioneer bass drum and snare. I couldn't pull it off. I'm putting fiberskyns on my bass drum. Looking forward to seeing your project move forward. I also really like Levi Helm.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here