Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Making a Slingerland eagle decal

Hi, new guy here. Been playing drums about 20 years, restoring for about a month. I'm a fabricator by trade, so it's no sweat.

Right now I'm refinishing a Slingerland marching snare. Someone went ahead and applied a thick, sloppy coat of stain over the original, which was probably in fair condition to begin with.

What I need is information on the Slingerland eagle decal. Maker info, a large clear photograph. A NOS sample would be awesome. I've looked around the web and can't seem to make any headway. This forum has some pictures, but they aren't clear or usable for reproduction purposes.

Any experts out there? Thanks. Here's the best I'm cleaning up:

[IMG]https://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/7612131/il_570xN.426199156_nkbv.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 11 years ago

Slingerland Eagle decal?

I THINK you are thinking of Ludwig's 75 Anniversary eagle?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

This is what I'm talking about. 1930s Slingerland marching snare with eagle decal. The photo is large and mostly in focus, but there is a glare. If not for the glare, I would be able to use this image as my decal reference.

Link to ebay action (not mine) featuring more photos of the drum:

http://tinyurl.com/c5e65mn

Decal image taken from auction:

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562335_629227905892_1659251300_n.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 11 years ago

A military store/Army surplus would have something like that.....wouldn't they?

Pretty common,I would think...but..who knows?

Heck,maybe the Michigan Militia might sell you one!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

If you can't find a good picture or decal of the eagle you might wanna contact someone who's really good with photoshop to fix the glare for you.

Posted on 11 years ago

I have a version of this drum. The Slingerland catalog called it their "Legion Heir" snare (SIC), & it shows up in catalogs over several years. Some have only the Eagle, but I have one w/ the Eagle & a round decal of the "US American Legion".

I will try to take some pics w/ out the glare. (here's what I have so far)

1 attachments
131.6 kB
Posted on 11 years ago

This is the total panel. Unfortunately, the round decal is 50% gone. (Also, if you Google, "Slingerland Legion Heir snare" Images, you will find other sample of this drum that may be useful.

1 attachments
146.5 kB
Posted on 11 years ago

Dennis, thanks man. That's exactly what I need. I saw pictures of your drum on another thread, and saw the American Legion decal.

The eagle decal is elusive. Not sure who made it or if there are repros available. I found similar decals on the interwebs, but they lack detail. I am good at Photoshop, but a half blurry image remains blurry, even after "sharpening".

I found that same American Legion decal on Etsy and bought it today. I'll be adding it to my drum with the eagle after it is refinished. Photos to come.

By the way, all of this is for a micro kit made of marching snares. Not an original idea, but I've been wanting to do this for ten years. Just recently I got enough money to do it.

Discussion to be continued in the Marching Drum thread...after a week or two.

Posted on 11 years ago

Hey Dave,sent you a PM about reproducing the decal by hand....I've done quite a bit of small scale paint and leaf work with excellent results!

Posted on 11 years ago

famousdave: Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind if my first attempt fails.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here