Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Ludwigs: 1960 vs 1969-71 shells

I appreciate the folks who answered my previous question about pre-serial number Ludwigs! Here's just one more:

I have the opportunity to choose between buying those pre-serial number Ludwigs (9x13, 16x16, 14x22 for $1470—I believe they're Super Classics) or a set of 1969-71 Ludwig Standards (22/16/13/12 with 14" snare $850).

The Standards are nearly half the price—and I'd be getting the snare; but I believe Standards (from some of my meager research) are not exactly high-quality. I don't have the opportunity to play them—both sets are being sold in different parts of the country. The pre-serial seller is a respected drum seller; the Standard seller is trustworthy and a recording studio owner.

Both sets are the color I'm looking for (blue sparkle).

Basically I'd love for people to give me their opinions—it's really hard for me to make a choice. One set is vintage; the other less so. What would you do? Thanks!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Unless both sets are absolutely MINT condition (like new in the box), they are priced too high for the current market. But that's a general statement. There is really no way to evaluate these drums without detailed pictures of the outsides and interiors of the shells.

P.S. There is no blue sparkle Standard finish. There is a Blue Mist.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you, O-Lugs. Yeah, regarding price, I too think the 1960s set is overpriced; but at the same time, it's been very hard for me to find something comparible for less. (A similar set I wanted—1965 gold sparkle, same sizes—sold for $1350.) There's one picture of it below. It's not mint out of box new, but overall (from the other pictures) it looks like a 8 out of 10. (Interiors are very clean for their age.)

Plus, for me, it's the sizes and color I really want.

How much should a set like this be fairly priced at?

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From jpbrooklyn

I appreciate the folks who answered my previous question about pre-serial number Ludwigs! Here's just one more:I have the opportunity to choose between buying those pre-serial number Ludwigs (9x13, 16x16, 14x22 for $1470—I believe they're Super Classics) or a set of 1969-71 Ludwig Standards (22/16/13/12 with 14" snare $850).The Standards are nearly half the price—and I'd be getting the snare; but I believe Standards (from some of my meager research) are not exactly high-quality. I don't have the opportunity to play them—both sets are being sold in different parts of the country. The pre-serial seller is a respected drum seller; the Standard seller is trustworthy and a recording studio owner.Both sets are the color I'm looking for (blue sparkle).Basically I'd love for people to give me their opinions—it's really hard for me to make a choice. One set is vintage; the other less so. What would you do? Thanks!!

I just sold a Ludwig Standard set (excellent condition) exactly like the one you mentioned but with the original Paiste cymbals and hardware. To my knowledge the shells are exactly the same as Ludwigs high end kits but the lugs and such are a bit cheaper. From what I noticed still very functional. I sold the set for $600.00 but they sold very fast at that price. If you look at the FOR SALE section of the forum you will see them listed.

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, your sale is nearly the same as the eBay listing!!

I'm torn between a relative bargain for the 1969 set and the pricy beauty of the vintage 1960s pre-serial kit. I'm just looking to buy one set, doubt I'll be buying another anytime soon—if ever.

(I used to be a semi-pro drummer; sold my set almost a decade ago; bought a house this year and I now need to put my basement to good use—I miss playing the drums.)

Posted on 14 years ago

It's a toss up as far as the sound they will produce. The hardware is a toss up, too (in my opinion). The Standard hardware isn't the greatest, but it's not bad if well cared for. Early 60's hardware wasn't always the greatest, either -outside of the people who were good caretakers over the years.

The price of the Standard isn't toooooooo bad. I would say, $700-$750 for a blue mist set in those sizes would be a little more realistic, currently. The early 60's kit is overpriced by about $300-$400 -if in excellent condition. Blue sparkle is a very common sparkle color. Hey, I love it, too, but it is probably the most common finish of them all!

Again, I need to really see the stuff to make a reasonable assessment

Posted on 14 years ago

How much should a set like this be fairly priced at?[/QUOTE]

Probably at the high end from the looks of it. Mmmmmmaybe as much as $1200.00. It does appear to be a nice one! In fact, it looks to be a beauty!

The gold sparkle set you mentioned is not surprising that it sold for more than a blue sparkle version -because gold sparkle is more desirable to collectors.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jpbrooklyn

Wow, your sale is nearly the same as the eBay listing!!170420817688I'm torn between a relative bargain for the 1969 set and the pricy beauty of the vintage 1960s pre-serial kit. I'm just looking to buy one set, doubt I'll be buying another anytime soon?if ever.(I used to be a semi-pro drummer; sold my set almost a decade ago; bought a house this year and I now need to put my basement to good use?I miss playing the drums.)

I'm almost positive that is the same set I just sold to a drummer touring with his band passing through the Detroit area. I bought the set to flip and I guess he had the same idea although he said he was going to use it in his studio. I am using my cell phone to browse the internet so I can't view the full description of the set but I can tomorrow at work. I f it is the same set and you are thinking of buying it, I can provide you with some info.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi JP,

If your not so sure at the moment and don't want to pay too much, be patient and keep looking. These kits come along every few weeks......as it looks "this" pre serial kit is being passed around like a joint. You can always haggle with ebay sellers if they're kits don't sell. Send them a message after the listing ends. I was able to knock a hundred off my kit, may not be much but my end price was $950 for a champagne......and i've seen dirty kits of like go for $1300 -$2000!!!! But if you wait you'll find it.

Have you checked Craigs'list? Not only in your area but check the major citys around the US as well, such as Nashville.....(also check LA, Austin, St.Louis, Vegas etc....)...you will find some starving musicians in need of fast cash selling top line gear for very cheap, for example: 3pc Fibes silver sparkle Jasper shells 22'' 15'' flt. 13'' tom. $950.....all you have to do then is get them to ship it. My friend is an engineer down there and is always sending me links to some adds.

Also check out some Vintage retailers like repercussions.org (although the prices have seemed pretty high)

As as far as which ludwig kit to choose........If it was me I would stay away from Standards, I just think they are cheaper and uglier....they are just not the classic kit people think of when they think ludwig. Did bonham or ringo play Standards?

There is another blue sparkle kit on ebay......4pc, i think 12,16, 20 or 22bd 14"supraphonic plus old zildjian hats and speed king pedal with stands (floor tom has B/O badge, rest have keystone.....kind of a down side) $1450

.....But if its your dream kit, the extra bread might be worth it for you.....follow your heart...........if your wallet allows....

69" Champagne Ludwig Rock Duo: 2 14"x20" 12",13",16"
70s Copper Slingerland Concord 2-14"x24" 12", 13",14", 15", 16" 20"
05' Craviotto snare 14x5
09' Keplinger Black Iron snare 5x14
10' Keplinger Brass 7x14
17' Kiplinger Black Iron 15x8
50s Ludwig White Marine 15x6.5
Mid 50s Istanbul made K. Zildjian hats 15"
Posted on 14 years ago

From keithmc1

As as far as which ludwig kit to choose........If it was me I would stay away from Standards, I just think they are cheaper and uglier....they are just not the classic kit people think of when they think ludwig.

That is a very odd thing to say about the Standards. They are outstanding drums - the same freekin' drums as the Classics. Only the lugs and mounts are different. If you don't like 'em...swap 'em with Classic lugs and Classic mounts and call 'em Classics.

This statement you made is bad mojo and even worse guidance. The Luddy Swarmuchen will take it out on your good mallet hand if you're not careful.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here