Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Ludwig Standard Snare

The Ludwig Standard...ignored, maligned as an attempt to compete with off-shore imports! OK, not a Supraphonic.. but still a great and honourable part of American drum history.

Actually a gorgeus looking and sounding piece of late '60's, 8-lug snare drum creation.

Although created around 1969 it has a nice p-83 strainer and an early '60's small round muffler knob... features more typical of Ludwig snares made in the earlier part of the same decade! The shell is unbeaded brushed aluminum with nicely plated, attractive lugs and a freakin' awesome badge!

I picked this up locally last Thursday. All it needed was a good spit & polish..

Enjoy. Walking

-kelly

1 attachments
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Forgot to post the rear end!

-kellyj

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I fell asleep and missed bidding on one recently. I have been looking for one to complete my Standard kit. I have the matching wood but need a nice clean metal. Yours is very sweet. Nice score. I love the smoothness of it all. The shell, the lugs ... it's just so smooth. No harsh angles at all. Very cool.

Posted on 14 years ago

mjcnic,

The prices on these are a little off I think. There were two on ebay last week, one at $275 and the other at $315. A little high for this simple snare.

This one I got for $95.

There are however so many things to like about it like the strainer and the clean look and sound.

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

Kellyj, that's nice looking!

It inspired me to pull out my Standard snare like that and start on a good hardcore cleaning...unfortunately the previous owner of mine treated it pretty harshly. It's nice to see what one looks like without a bunch of scratches!

Troy

Posted on 14 years ago

Troy,

Thanks! This one has only one superficial little scrath. There was virtually no rust anywhere on it, even on the rims. Must have been kept out of a basement all those years...

Post a pic of yours after the hardcore cleaning you want to do.

Cheers!

Kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

I am getting one for $45! in great condition!!! Almost perfect! I will have it Sunday, if the guy comes through like he says.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW!! GREAT DEAL! Nice snare! I really like the Ludwig metal snares. i recently bought a 100th Ann. 6 1/2 in. Acrolite. Sounds GREAT!

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow! $45 bucks. Great score singer

The Ludwig "Standard" is a simple aluminum drum of classic Ludwig beauty continuing the high standard of Ludwig metal drums. I checked for a snare bed on the Standard thinking that it might be absent because of it's lower class in the Ludwig line of 1969. Sure enough, the snare bed was present and in the same form as a Supra. Sounds almost as good too!

The ludwig metal snares have a long history of excellence!

Bill Ludwig Senior was fascinated by the resonant qualities of brass for snare drums. Later came the experimentation with aluminum and then the mysteries of "Ludaloy" for the Supraphonic which became the best and most recorded snare drum in history.

So, can you go wrong with any Ludwig snare? Probably not...Party

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

I have that exact snare! sounds great!

1964 Gold Sparkle Round badge 20,12,14
1970 SS Badge, Blue Satin Flame 22,13,16
1962 Tangerine sparkle, Gretsch. 18, 12,14, 5x14
1960's/70's Slingerland 18,12,14 silver sparkle
194? Slingerland "Rolling Bomber" Blue/white Duco 28,13,14,7x14
1940's Radio Kings. 26,13,16 WMP finish
Gretsch Anniversary sparkle 22,13,16, 5.5x14