Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig Rockers

OK, looking for information, thoughts, and opinions. Normally I stay with sets that I'm familiar with but couldn't resist picking this one up. The price was right -- zero dollars spent -- as I just traded two old mid-70s Kustom PA columns and a Tama throne that were simply taking up space in my garage.

I've got what I believe to be a mid-to-late 80s Ludwig Rocker set (the owner couldn't remember for sure when he bought them new). 4-ply shells with clear maple interior, B/W badges with no border around the serial numbers, "Standard" style lugs. The (taped on) wrap was removed by the previous owner, but a piece of it was left around one of the badges and seems to be what Ludwig called "Plum Crazy." I've got most of the lugs, rims, etc. but no BD spurs, no heads, and no wrap (oh yeah -- also missing one B/W badge). Sizes are 16x22, 16x18, and 13x14. The BD is virgin, as the guy I got them from ordered them "special" with a modular mount on the 14 that he "dog-boned" to a cymbal stand.

I can order "wine red" wrap from Jammin' Sam and match the color pretty close to the original, then put it all back together as such. Or, I could just add the shells and hardware to my "stock" and either part them out or use them up in custom projects... what are your thoughts?

I've attached one pic that I took, as well as a couple of catalog pages, courtesy of VDG...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

How about doing a nice stain/laquer number on them?, and track down the missing parts. Cool sizes, and do'nt think there are many Rockers out there in a "natural" finish.

Posted on 12 years ago

How about doing a nice stain/laquer number on them?, and track down the missing parts. Cool sizes, and do'nt think there are many Rockers out there in a "natural" finish.

I had actually thought about doing that... because the biggest "investment" would then be the "elbow grease." In the picture I posted, there is what appears to be a section of glue where evidently a tear or rip of some kind in the original wrap was glued down. But, for the most part the outer ply is in pretty good shape.

But, I don't think Ludwig offered any natural finishes in the line... or did they?

Just wonderin'...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

I joined this formn because I wanted to remove a good condition wrap from a Ludwig Rocker kit and repalce with a wood venner. My question (and title of the thread) was "should I do this" I was not sure if the Rockers were "collectable" or "vintage" and did not want to do something stupid. The advive I got was to go ahead because they were not considered collectable. I ended up keeping the rockers with the very good condition wraps but Bought several rocker drums off of e-bay and built a nice double bass drum set. This is what got me into the drum collecting. I dont know if Ludwig offered a natural wood finish on the rockers but I sure get alot of compliments on mine, everyone loves them. I did not feel like the shells were good enough to finish after removing the wrap so I applied a maple veneer then finished them. I am always looking out for the rockers for refinishing because the wraps were so easy to remove and they are not highly sought after drums. But then again, I do a lot of finishing and I like to experiment with different products. For me it would be an easy decision, I would do a nice wood finish. Hope this helps!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

This is my first encounter with the 4-ply shells. I've actually got enough "orphans" of Ludwig's 6-ply shells (16x24, 16x16, 13x14, 10x14) that I could put together a monster mix-matched double bass set. Or just a set of each... I'm just thinkin' out loud at this point...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Oh yeah, Jeff, your set looks GREAT! Maybe I ought to just fix the Rockers up for myself and just sell my (all original) 1978 Pearl W/FG set...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Oh yeah, Jeff, your set looks GREAT! Maybe I ought to just fix the Rockers up for myself and just sell my (all original) 1978 Pearl W/FG set...

Na, dont sell anything just keep adding to the collection! Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

Na, dont sell anything just keep adding to the collection! Thanks for the kind words. Jeff C

Well, I guess if you saw my "stash" you'd think I was a collector, too... but I actually consider myself a "dealer." I started this all from scratch a couple of years ago when I got laid off my "real" job as a manufacturing supervisor, with 2 goals in mind: 1) supplemental income, and 2) a way to add to my own personal set without spending household "budgeted" money.

The supplemental income goal has been met. Some months I make more money than my current "real" job, which is a good thing because my current job pays less than half what my old one did!

And, I've successfully added to my standard 14x22/15x16/9x13/8x12/Jupiter 6.5x14 SD 1978 Pearl W/FG kit (I'm the original owner and VERY proud of); matching 14x22, 16x18, 10x14, and have the parts to custom build a matching 6x13 "extra" SD. (I also recently aquired a 12x15 tom on a trade with a VDF member and also have a 14x16 -- these two are FG, and I need to find matching wrap.)

Even though I'm 56 and haven't played "out" in years, I always wanted a monster rock kit. And I've still got enough "kid" in me to still follow that dream. Problem is, with all the drums I've aquired over the last two years I don't even have enough room to set MY drums up and play them.

I did sell four kits since Thanksgiving (3 on eBay, 1 consigned through our local music store) and LOTS of orphan drums and LOTS of parts. But my buying has still left me with LOTS of the same...

BTW Jeff... part of my "manufacturing" career had me in custom kitchen cabinets. I think you and I may have a lot in common.

Sorry for the ramblin'... Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Bill, Those drums sound great. I know they were the lower line, but they still sounded great. A friend of mine recovered a 32" Ludwig kick to match his rocker toms. You can hear and see him and the kit here:

http://youtu.be/35E9bgpQ1io

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 12 years ago

From latzanimal

Bill, Those drums sound great. I know they were the lower line, but they still sounded great. A friend of mine recovered a 32" Ludwig kick to match his rocker toms. You can hear and see him and the kit here:http://youtu.be/35E9bgpQ1io

Wow! now that is a base drum. I own two Rocker kits and always thought they sounded good.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here