Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Pre Serial Bass Drum rebuild

So I snagged a Ludwig pre-serial 22 inch bass drum shell on the bay.

I am going to match this up with my 13 inch and 16 inch toms.

They are mid 60s Silver Sparkle with resocoat interiors.

The FT is a '66 with baseball bat muffler and the rack tom is a late '67

with upper and lower dial type mufflers. Both drums are in very good condition and sound great.

The bass shell is in great condition but in need of a re wrap.

It is factory drilled for a rail consolette tom mount, fold out legs, and a cymbal holder.

A few questions:

Since the BD is somewhere between 1960 and 1963 date of origin

should I go with the earlier version of the rail mount and fold out leg mounts?

Is the second generation tom mount with the teeth more sturdy than the previous model?

Should I just build the drum as original as possible?

I've ben playing Ludwigs since the late 80s (mid 70s Stainless Steel kit and a 1970 Chrome over wood 3 ply kit) but this is my first vintage restoration so I'm looking for some advice from the masters.

Thanks in advance.

5 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I have had both rail mounts and the later version is much sturdier. If it were me I would try and get as original as possible, and I think the fold out spurs that had floor tom leg mounts were used on this drum. If so, the modern reproductions by Ludwig might be your best bet because of the better holding power.

In the end it is your drum to do whatever you please!

Posted on 7 years ago

Is the bass drum Champagne Sparkle? Love the natural interior. Some from this era still have the older swingout spurs that used both a wingnut and a set screw. If not, 60-63 would be the spur mount in which the wing bolt screwed directly into the threads of the casting itself. These do work but can strip from time to time. The style of mounts that were used after these have the threaded eye bolt and wingnut. They were used from the mid 60's on. They work very nice.

Both rails work nicely. The later version is more solid. They did make that later version with a Ludwig script mount and also a block logo mount, both used in the 60's.

If you're plaanning using a heavier cymbal mounted on the ass shell, go with that later mount that I mentioned if it's gonna see a lot of play time. The earlier models do work but can go south pretty quick!

Mike

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks guys,

Mike, it is Champagne Sparkle.

I have not received the shell yet so I can only share the eBay pics.

I am learning that a lot of early 60s kits had painted interiors on the toms but not the bass drums. The large "22" written inside the bass drum is common as well. So this will work out nicely.

I grabbed a complete set of lugs that match the era. I will keep my eyes peeled for a second generation tom mount with a script logo. I am thinking the first generation shell mounts for the cymbal arm and bass spurs. They just look nicer and fit the early 60s theme.

As for the cymbal arm, I keep my ride pretty low and L cymbal arm setup seems too high so it might just be used for pictures.

Thanks for the intel.

Cheers!

Artie

Posted on 7 years ago

T RODS AND CLAWS Vintage or New Classic style?

I have been shopping around and doing the numbers on this and it seems that I am at basically the same price for a full set (20X T Rods and 20X claws) for vintage parts in VG but not excellent condition, or shiny brand new Ludwig repros. (P3034AP & P2308AP).

I like a little patina as much as the next guy, but new is nice too.

Will using the new ones devalue the build if I ever decide to sell?

Posted on 7 years ago

I think that wrap will clean up pretty nice, I would maybe rethink wrapping that.

champagne wrap is sweet looking and unique. Of course just my opinion and whatever you choose it looks like a nice project.

Wayne

Posted on 7 years ago

I'd be inclined to sacrifice the locking teeth of the newer rail mount, for the 2 top-access screws on the rail of the older one. The newer one is 6 bolts, [4 on the top inside of the drum] to remove. Even better, since they're often incomplete on ebay, I'd go for the teeth on the riser arm, and the top-access screws on the rail. Best of both worlds...

Rods and claws I'd go vintage, but if it's a re-wrap maybe new would match better. I also would not take the wrap off the shell pictured...at least judging from the pictures. :)

Mitch

Posted on 7 years ago

Mitch, thanks!!

Good advice on the rail mount.

I might just go with the 1st gen. tom mount and keep it legit.

Just scored 20 classic lugs from '64 in VGC.

Decided to go with the new Ludwig Classic T handles and vintage claws. I'm having an easier time finding 20 claws in great shape.

All the other parts will be of the same vintage.

As for the Champagne wrap, its a tough call I know. But I have 2 "cherry" condition mid-60s Silver Sparkle toms to match it with.

The Precision SS wrap looks really good next to the original wrap.

I'm having it professionally done by Resurrection Drums here in South Florida.

It's going to be a beautiful drum.

Thanks!!!

Posted on 7 years ago

Cool. I guess if whoever is removing the wrap could get it off in one piece, that would be something...

Looking forward to the finished kit!

Mitch

Posted on 7 years ago

This is moving along as I am almost finished collecting hardware and parts.

I have done my best to stay with early 60s lugs, mounts, spurs etc;

The drum will never be "all original" but the vintage will be there for the most part.

The cost of parts was getting up there, so I found a roached early serial 22 inch bass drum for harvesting.

It's a very low serial number 0190 so the parts should jive with the pre-serial shell for the most part.

I just need hoops and a few more claws and everything will be collected.

If we can keep the wraps intact upon removal I might have a Red Sparkle wrap and a Champagne Sparkle wrap available. I will post them here if that's the case.

I hope to share a few pics soon.

Cheers!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here