Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig 70's 3 Ply - Restore complete, lot's o pics

Good for you man!!! That is exceptional!

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for posting, a lot of hard detailed work and a great final outcome.

My favorite finish too, and how do they sound?

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow! Great job.

Having 12/13/14/16/24 makes this a very versatile kit.

Who cares if they're classified as a "collector" or "player" kit. It does not matter. I'd classify it as an "awesome" kit that's going to last for another 40+ years.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

- Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Well done Commander!

Love to see how hard work pays you so much back!

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow - thanks for all the positive feedback.

A few more tidbits of info. I got quite a few large classic lugs from blairindrums here on the forum and they were EXCELLENT. I bought them a long time ago and just opened the bags a week ago. I was amazed at how clean and nice they were right out of the bag. Great transaction.

Also - not sure if anyone noticed but the snare drum is now a 10 lugger. I have several other Ludwig snares - clear Vistalite, 70's Suprahonic and a 90's Black Beauty all 10 lug snares. I just couldn't go to all the trouble and end up with an 8 lug snare at the end of it. I know its crazy.

Question - did Ludwig ever make 10 lug wooden snares in the 70's? I assume not but its not really a huge deal either way. Just curious more than anything else.

Here is the snare after the hardware was re-installed.

Posted on 11 years ago

Outstanding !!! Simply Outstanding !!! Beautiful kit.

I love the way you transformed the concert toms into double headed toms.

The concert toms from that era had re-rings and bearing edges on both sides.

Not like the later ones that had a metal strip around the bottom.

My 15" and 16" concert toms are like yours and I put rims on them and useing a tama low tom stand for a double floor tom set up.. Now I am thinking. would it be worth it to me to convert those to double headed toms. Your floor tom looks great and am sure it sounds fantastic. would I improve and add value or ruin them? I don't think those toms are all that collectable?? but I do hate to alter them from original. I bet they would sound better though.

Posted on 11 years ago

From marps

Wow - thanks for all the positive feedback. A few more tidbits of info. I got quite a few large classic lugs from blairindrums here on the forum and they were EXCELLENT. I bought them a long time ago and just opened the bags a week ago. I was amazed at how clean and nice they were right out of the bag. Great transaction.Also - not sure if anyone noticed but the snare drum is now a 10 lugger. I have several other Ludwig snares - clear Vistalite, 70's Suprahonic and a 90's Black Beauty all 10 lug snares. I just couldn't go to all the trouble and end up with an 8 lug snare at the end of it. I know its crazy.Question - did Ludwig ever make 10 lug wooden snares in the 70's? I assume not but its not really a huge deal either way. Just curious more than anything else. Here is the snare after the hardware was re-installed.

What's wrong with 8 lug snares?? Some of the best sounding ones have 8 lugs... You can hear more of the shell rather than the hardware.

Nice transformation however!

(on the flip side I heard a 12 lug Montineri that was ridiculous!)

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Looks like you did I nice job. I know thats a lot of work I have done a few my self. I tend to do the edges before installing the hardware just keeps everything cleaner. Enjoy them

Jumping2

Posted on 11 years ago

What's wrong with 8 lug snares?? Some of the best sounding ones have 8 lugs... You can hear more of the shell rather than the hardware.Nice transformation however!(on the flip side I heard a 12 lug Montineri that was ridiculous!)

The 8 lug Jazz Fest snares are great snares no question. Honestly doing the snare as a 10 lug vs 8 lug was the toughest decision of the whole project.

In the end it all worked out. It's a great sounding snare and I will keep it for a long time.

I would like to post some audio of the kit when I get a chance. I'm really happy with the sound overall. The toms are warm and very nice. The snare has a great pop to it and the bass drum is punchy and full sounding.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here