Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

looking to buy vintage kit

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this and looking to buy a used set. I came across this Slingerland:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/1448183718.html

What do you all think?

Posted on 14 years ago

Great shells. Ok price. Not great. Rough finish. Will sound Wonderful!!!.

Posted on 14 years ago

I can see the reinforcing ring on the bass drum in one pic. Yeah, these will be good-sounding vintage drums, barring anything wrong with them. $450 seems about right. Not a deal, but not a rip-off. Slingerlands are great...even though they are remarkably similar to Ludwigs, they cost about half the price!

I'm not too crazy about that finish, though. But, it's your call...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some Big R's down in Portland... they might be worth researching.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1454557688.html

I can't tell you if that is a good deal on the Big R's or not but worth looking at in the same era as those Slingers.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]yes...and only 3x the price of the Slingys !

Heck...we can all shoot you links to tons of vintage kits with decent prices...that won't help you all that much.

My take on the Slingys near you:

Like McJ said....that finish sucks (OK, he didn't say that....I am). No, $450 is too, too much. Think of it this way...if it was a better wrap, such as a sparkle or a pearl....it still wouldn't fetch over $500 or so in this market. The chrome wraps are the least sought-after wraps Slingy ever made. There's a guy down here who keeps trying to sell a 4-pc with that finish and he cannot get even $400 for 'em....

I tend to stay away from the vintage chrome-wrapped drums of ANY mfr....they tend to be scratched up, and they are an absolute BEAR to remove if ever one had the idea of re-wrapping.

For $450 you can do better.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I have a 1967 club date in need of refinishing I want to sell. Due to a job change, I just don't have time. Let me know if your interested, I'll send you some pics. 20/12/14, shells lacquer needs stripping, hardware needs shining, new bd hoops on it, $550 plus shipping.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]yes...and only 3x the price of the Slingys !Heck...we can all shoot you links to tons of vintage kits with decent prices...that won't help you all that much.My take on the Slingys near you:Like McJ said....that finish sucks (OK, he didn't say that....I am). No, $450 is too, too much. Think of it this way...if it was a better wrap, such as a sparkle or a pearl....it still wouldn't fetch over $500 or so in this market. The chrome wraps are the least sought-after wraps Slingy ever made. There's a guy down here who keeps trying to sell a 4-pc with that finish and he cannot get even $400 for 'em....I tend to stay away from the vintage chrome-wrapped drums of ANY mfr....they tend to be scratched up, and they are an absolute BEAR to remove if ever one had the idea of re-wrapping.For $450 you can do better.[/COLOR]

True but then again you don't have to do anything to it and it is original with original hardware so really is a better deal then spending 500.00 on a kit you then have to rewrap buy hardware ,heads, etc and after all that it is still only worth 500.00 sorry i have to disagree money well spent it a heap better than money thrown in a hole.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Mike T

True but then again you don't have to do anything to it and it is original with original hardware so really is a better deal then spending 500.00 on a kit you then have to rewrap buy hardware ,heads, etc and after all that it is still only worth 500.00 sorry i have to disagree money well spent it a heap better than money thrown in a hole.

There's plenty of options for vintage kits around $500 that would not be throwing money down a hole. Good wraps, hardware, decent heads, ready to go.

If $500 or so is your budget, stick to it and keep looking, you will find something with a little patience.

I would pass on those Slingerlands as well.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

First I would find out what you want in a set. gig beater? studio? classic? all of the above? I would tend to agree with money well spent. The price of common has come down where as the price of rare has risen. You may find a cheezy drum set that you can play. I would buy one that I love. Price isnt anything.. so dont follow a budget, follow the sound. Do it right once. Save until you find it. The market is full of 2nd rate drums right now. It will pay to weed through the sea of so so drums to get what you want. I will say buying Rogers drums was the best investment I ever made....

*** I BUY ROGERS DRUMS ***
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here