Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Leedy Broadway Duco snare 95% complete

Hi all,

Some of you may recall that I purchased a rather sad looking '38 15"X8" Broadway a while ago and sought comments on the merits (or otherwise) of trying to re-finish the Duco finish. Anyway, I took the plunge and offer you a few before & after photos of the nearly-complete project. As you will see, I still have not been able to obtain the complete throw mechanism but this is a work in progress.

Having read about Purdie Shuffle’s ingenious record turntable arrangement, I originally intended to use the same idea. However, following the maxim that ‘Necessity is the mother of invention’, I instead created a somewhat Heath-Robinson device using a bicycle wheel mounted on a sheet of ¾” plywood which although absurdly simple, actually worked extremely well. The well-greased hub bearing in the wheel permitted the wheel to rotate for prolonged periods during spraying with minimal need for additional manual turning.

Stripping the original black/gold paint from the 15”x8” shell was very easy using a strong chemical stripper. The risk presented by the old lead paint meant that sanding was not an option. It was interesting to note that as the paint softened and was scraped off, it was clear that there was a lot of blue in the black paint or maybe and undercoat or something. With 95% of the pain removed, I finished off the shell with 400 then 800 grit paper until it was ready for the primer coat.

I know that Purdie Shuffle recommended Krylon paint but this is New Zealand and we have limited number of options here. I decided instead to use Dulux spray paints these generally worked well. I obviously have nothing to compare the quality of the spray nozzle with, but I suspect the Dulux cans are not as good as the Krylon ones. In any event I found that by spinning the bike wheel turntable at a moderate speed it was possible to get a very even distribution of the paint. I did try to align the fade area with the holes for the lugs and I think that this generally worked OK. I followed Purdie’s advice and did around 5-6 coats of the central gold band first and then the black top and bottom while the gold was still tacky. Finally I applied around 15-20 coats of clear gloss sealer

I also carefully cleaned all of the drum hardware while the drum was stripped. With the careful use of a drill-mounted polisher and various proprietary compounds removed 80 years worth of accumulated grime and crud from the nickel fittings and hoops, producing very pleasing results. I think the photos speak for themselves.

As you know, I did question whether it was philosophically acceptable to strip the original paint from the shell but the appalling condition of parts of the original Duco finally tipped the balance for me. Overall, I’m very pleased with the finished drum and can safely say that it turned out a lot better than I had expected. At one point during the re-spray, it really looked awful and I was almost resigned to the fact that I would have to strip it back to the bare shell and start again or perhaps even leave it natural. But I’m glad I persevered. The only thing that is a little disappointing is that the gold band is a lot less ‘yellow’ than the original was. Maybe they used a gold leaf type paint, which was brighter. Who knows. I also think that the original ‘black’ paint included a dark blue pigment because there were definite areas of green between the gold and black areas.

Sadly, I still need to source the replacement parts for the 4-point strainer, 1 T-rod and an insert to complete the drum, but for now I’m just happy to put it on the shelf and admire it. I hope that you do too!

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

Great looking restro job. !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

What a super job you did on that one! Kiss

The Lazy-Susan set-up for painting really makes doing DUCO finishes a breeze. You should consider assembling some orphan shells and making a kit out of it. Excellent job.

Check out this site:

http://www.ak-drums.com/Restoration/Strainers.html

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Looks good, man! Glad to see a few members tackle a duco finish...gives me more encouragement to tackle one myself in the future. I have 3 out of 4 orphan WFL drums for a full kit, a turntable and moderate spraying skills. Hope you find your parts soon and get to take her out for a ride soon.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's been a real labour of love and I can't wait to play it. I've put new Aquarian Vintage heads on it and tried tuning it up but with one T-rod missing I've a bit reluctant to tighten things up too much. Being a 15" drum it's got a really lovely deep rich tone to it which I'm looking forward to exploring to the full once I get the strainer issue resolved. Out of interest, would you guys go with standard 20-strand snares or something else?

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

Amazing work. That will sound so nice I'm sure. It's like an automobile. It always seems to run better after a nice cleaning.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

Gerard,

You have a great eye for what can be and you made it happen! Really great job.

kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 9 years ago

It is a beautiful and BIG drum.

Nice job.

Should sound enormo.

sa

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

Great job!! Thanks for the photos.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Hey, thanks for all the kind words everyone. Means a lot to a comparative novice like me. I get a huge thrill out of breathing life into something someone else disregarded as trash and this Leedy now has another 80 years of pleasure to bring. Win-win.

Purdie Shuffle, I did contact Adrian at AK but he says he's way too busy to fabricate this kind of stuff. I'll keep my eyes open for an old one or maybe try and get one made at a machine shop.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here