Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Leedy Broadway Duco snare 95% complete

> get one made at a machine shop.

When I needed some metal parts fixed for the last project I worked on, I went to the local Technical College and spoke with the shop instructor. I made a $50 donation to the school and had all my welding work done par excellence! They have Machine shops in those schools! Tell the instructor you're working on a vintage drum with hard to replace parts. Show him what you need made. If you present it as a cool class project, they'll be happy to manufacture the parts for you so that the kids can get some real-world work experience. Win/win all around. I have to tell you, I had big fun hanging out in the shop watching the students work on my project. They really got into it and they did a superlative job for me. Consider it! There has to be a schematic for a four point strainer online somewhere. You can also bring the drum and show them photos of the missing/needed parts. They'll take it from there.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Excellent work!

I love the bicycle wheel idea, brilliant!

I tried to do one duco job once and failed. My problem is the finish I use is very thick and you cant just spray and spray and spray like you can with spray paint.

Yours however was a very successful! Cheers!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

From jccabinets

Excellent work!I love the bicycle wheel idea, brilliant!I tried to do one duco job once and failed. My problem is the finish I use is very thick and you cant just spray and spray and spray like you can with spray paint. Yours however was a very successful! Cheers!

Thanks a lot. Yes, the idea of using the bike wheel came as something of an epiphany as I'd been scratching my head for ages trying to think of what to use. I figured the bearings would allow the drum to turn freely at a fairly constant speed with minimal intervention. I do have an old electric turntable but I just couldn't bring myself to wreck it - plus what was I going to listen to all my old vinyl on afterwards!

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

Ya, dont ruin a good turntable, vinyl is back! It okay to ruin a bike though!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Turntables are $5 at Goodwill, you don't have to use a good one for DUCO paint jobs. The advantage to the turntable is the motor keeps a constant speed. I let it run for a few minutes after I spray because it speeds up drying time. There is a method to my madness and reasons why I recommend turntables. If it's for paint jobs, just get a cheap one.

The bike wheel was ingenious! :D

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Gerard,

What's your next project :) You did so well on the last one!

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 9 years ago

Gerard great job on that Leedy. Duco paint jobs are so cool I hope to try one someday. Bike wheel was a great idea too. Too back Adrian at AK can't help with parts. He makes some of the coolest stuff I've seen. Hope something will turn up for you somewhere. Post a few WTB ads on the forums and watch ebay daily. Worst case maybe you adapt the bottom part of a strainer to work? Or try John's suggestion on the tech school. If you can get some detailed pictures of the parts needed I'm sure something can be done somehow. In a pinch the new rim clips are pretty good. Not exact reproductions (as there are many types and styles as you know) but nicely done and come in brass, nickel, chrome finish.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

From kellyj

Gerard,What's your next project :) You did so well on the last one!

Not really sure. I don't tend to plan these things, just depends on whether I see something that sparks my interest or imagination! Always up for a challenge.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here