Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Leedy BDP drum set

Several years ago--I think it was almost ten years ago--I acquired this beautiful 1963 Leedy drum set. The drums were pristine when I acquired them, and have remained that way ever since. The Black Diamond Pearl is the same as on Slingerland drums of the same era. The drum sizes are 14x20, 16x16, 9x13 and a matching 5x14 Shelly Manne snare drum.

Most of the batter heads and some of the resonant heads had the Henry Adler store stamp. I decided quite a few years ago that, if I were forced to keep only one drum set and sell off the rest of my drum sets, this outfit would be my forever drum set. As I get older and my wife and i deal with the consequences of aging, I'm giving serious thought to cutting back to have one drum set. I will probably keep several snare drums, all of my A. Zildjian cymbals that I've acquired over 65 years of drumming, a good deal of vintage hardware and pedals, and a matching set of drum set bongos.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

Sounds like a good plan.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

That’s a cool kit.

One of the drum stores around here had a leery bass drum- I think it was an 18”. What I know is that it was a total bowel-shaker. Seriously serious bass drum. It was used for bass pedal demos and they didn’t have the rest of the kit. Killer.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

From leedybdp

I'm having a heck of a time trying to edit my post. Here's the whole drum set picture.

Beautiful set that speaks so well of the entire vintage drum mystique. That wide open black diamond pearl pattern and the name Leedy with so much historical depth. What can be said, but wow!

Posted on 2 years ago

I was very fortunate to acquire a second Shelly Manne snare drum a few years after acquiring the BDP snare with the rest of the drum set. These snare drums are everything that other brands of snare drums wish they could be (except, of course, for Slingerland).

Posted on 2 years ago

I feel like cutting back on my collection, too....But, as long as I'm alive, I want to know that anything I put out there, ends up in the possession of someone who won't just flip it for a few quick bucks...Or, someone who is as old (or older) than myself and will end up passing the stuff on to some unknown entity. After I'm dead, it won't bother me a bit what happens, of course.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

:Santa: will bring me a new old kit

I have my first kit from 68 only , right now

And it’s still has original heads

Does that say anything

So I’m thinking 1 is very lonely I have to have a downbeat

At 70 I still don’t get it I’ll never learn

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

From leedybdp

I was very fortunate to acquire a second Shelly Manne snare drum a few years after acquiring the BDP snare with the rest of the drum set. These snare drums are everything that other brands of snare drums wish they could be (except, of course, for Slingerland).

I have to admit I never understood the complication of the snare straining arrangement on those drums, particularly the aluminum piece that extends over the tube on the lower portion of the strainer. It always seemed like a structurally weak piece that was vulnerable to damage. I had the same thing on the red satin flame snare that I added to the red satin flame kit that was once yours (before I too, regretfully, sold it). It's the only snare like it I ever owned and didn't own it long enough to research how it was supposed to be used.

I had a similar reaction to the one and only Ludwig Super Classic I owned.

The interesting thing is you hear a lot of negative comments about the Dynasonic snare arrangements, and yet it is compartitively more straightforward to set up in my view.

1 attachments
49.3 kB
Posted on 2 years ago

Jim Petty taught me that this snare arrangement is installed on the drum . Then it's a simple matter to set it and forget it except for occasional fine-tuning tweaks with the snares already in place. I'll state once again that, although I was a manufacturer's rep for Rogers in the hey day of the Dynasonic snare drum, I never warmed up to the (seemingly) ten pounds of complicated hardware on the underside of the drum. My first Rogers snare drum was a 1961 Holiday BDP 5x14 that mounted to the bass drum with a Swivomatic arm. I am also fond of the Simple-yet-elegant six-lugger Luxor snare drum.

Posted on 2 years ago

Great set. I have a couple myself. LOVE them.

The Shelly Manne snares are excellent as well.

Do you still have the pink snare?

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here