Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Leedy & Ludwig restoration advice

Hello VDF Members,

A friend of my family asked me to help him restore a 3 piece Leedy & Ludwig kit. He thought they were from the 1940’s and purchased them about 13 years ago for $200. The 14x22 bass drum, 16x16 floor tom and 9x13 small toms, all covered in sparkling gold with red blotches peeking through.

The interiors were factory white, in great shape, each sporting a date stamp 5101. (January 1951?) I had an opportunity to play them first and they sounded great even though they had well-worn Remo coated ambassador batter heads and clear ambassador reso heads.

I only had time to disassemble and clean the toms; I hope to return this weekend, weather permitting, to clean and polish the bass drum. All 28 lugs had the usual exterior rick pinning and corrosion on the inter face of the lugs at the mounting threads. All 56 screws had rust from the middle of the shaft to the collar but the first half of the screw looked new. The 13” lugs had steel springs holding the lug nut in place while the floor tom lugs had copper springs. The half of the ratchet mounting bracket (#7728) was corrosion free while all three floor tom brackets were very rusted with chrome flaking off.

Posted on 9 years ago

I cleaned the lugs, hoop...etc with a Dawn solution in a spray bottle. The tension rods and hoop clips were placed in a Dawn bath. I finished the tension rods by cleaning the threads with a Mr. Kleen Miracle eraser and polished with Quick Glo. Packed all of the threaded openings with white petroleum jelly and reassembled the toms. Unsure of using Novus polish, I gently wiped the exterior with a 100% cotton cloth and dried them with a new microfiber cloth.

What product can be used to stop the dark blotching?

What new heads would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago

Bob, killer set of drums, I think your done. I would install new Remo ambassadors on both sides and call it a day. Novus wont hurt that wrap, but nothing will stop what ever is bleeding through. Personally I think it looks cool with the blotches, its a very old drum set so just be happy you have all the parts and it looks as good as it does. I would love to have one just like it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Jeff, Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion. I was amazed to sit behind them and play them. This was the first time I ever saw a Leedy&Ludwig drum set in person.

I will pass along your head suggestion to my friend. The wrap is shiny except where the blotches poke through; running my finger over the drum shells, it feels like a smooth wax finish then to a sanding sealer feel back a wax feel. Hope this explanation makes sense.

Thanks again

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago

It does make sense but I dont know what to tell you about it. Must have something to do with the adhesive or it was a defective wrap from the start. Sounds like some of the outer coating has wore off where the blotchy spots are, making it feel rougher in those areas. Still, I think all one can do is protect the wrap with wax or something. They are a really cool set of drums though.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

Do you have the complete mount?>>I have one..if not....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 9 years ago

Jeff, I will apply the Novus to all of the drums during my next visit. I am looking forward to cleaning the bass drum. I will upload pics of the bass drum next week.

Blairndrums, I will text my friend and ask him. He has the tom half installed now. Would you consider selling the bass drum hoop mount half?

Thank you both,

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago

Blairndrums,

He is interested. PM with his email address has been sent

Thanks,

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago

Blair is a great guy to buy from, he packs stuff better that anyone and is straight up honest as can be.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

My friend was probably jumping out of his boots when I sent the text.

This is great:)

Thanks Jeff,

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here