Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Leedy & Ludwig New Era Snare

I recently purchased a L&L Broadway New era snare drum which was delivered today. I've attached a few pics of the drum. It's quite obvious that I haven't yet had the time to give it a good cleaning.

Prior to purchasing the drum I was made aware of the fact that there were five holes drilled vertically into the shell, one above the other. Please see the 2nd & 3rd pics. After discussing this with several forum members (thanks Ludwig-Dude and others!), it was determined that the three middle holes were more than likely drilled to install the original tone control. We're still not sure why the top and bottom holes were drilled.

I'm aware of how difficult it will be to locate the original tone control. However, if any of you happen to have an "extra" or know where I might be able to obtain one, I'd certainly appreciate the information.

As you can see by the final pic that I posted, the spacing between the first (top) and third (bottom) strainer holes is one inch.

I was fortunate enough to find a vintage tone control in a configuration quite similar to the original one. However, the hole spacing is minimally different from those drilled into the shell. Nevertheless, the current plan is to mount it on the shell and then fill the top and bottom "extra" holes.

If anyone's got a "better idea" or alternate plan for addressing these holes I'd certainly like to hear from you.

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and any and all input you might be able to provide.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've had over 6 of the 4x14 New Era snares and not one had a factory muffler.

Your snare looks as though someone had installed a Rogers muffler at first. I don't know about the other top & bottom holes, although he/she may had first incorrectly installed it and then had it moved...

Posted on 14 years ago

From vadrums

I've had over 6 of the 4x14 New Era snares and not one had a factory muffler. Your snare looks as though someone had installed a Rogers muffler at first. I don't know about the other top & bottom holes, although he/she may had first incorrectly installed it and then had it moved...

Not every Leedy&Ludwig drum in general got an internal muffler as they were a no cost option. While it could have been a Rogers muffler installed at one point, I find it unlikely as the hole spacing and the imprint on the inside of the shell is clearly from the newer design parallel Leedy & Ludwig muffler. The other two holes could have been from a drumkey holder that was installed after the tone control was removed by someone....that is my best guess on the "extra" holes above the three for the muffler.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've attached some pics of the "replacement" tone control I recently purchased. As I stated in my original post, the configuration is extremely similar to what Leedy labeled its "perpendicular tone control", except for the internal pad. However, the distance between the top screw and bottom screw on the tone control is about 1 1/2 inches as compared to the distance of 1 inch currently drilled in the shell.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've got an early Leedy muffler with a vertical mounting hole distance of 7/8" if that would help...

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, Tom.

Any chance I could see a pic of the muffler?

Also, how much would you want for it?

Appreciate your time and your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

oldschool, measure the size of each hole and then the holes distance from each hole to each other, and do it from top to bottom like the 3 rd pic from your first post, so are you saying the tone control you just bought want work?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

vintagemore2000:

The total length of the three middle holes on the shell from north to south

is 1 inch.

The total length of the replacement tone control screws that I purchased from north to south is about 1 1/2 inches.

I also measured the length of the screws on an original Leedy & Ludwig "perpendicular" tone control that I've got on another L&L snare drum (not a New Era) from north to south and it's also about 1 1/2 inches.

Posted on 14 years ago

From OldSchool

vintagemore2000:The total length of the three middle holes on the shell from north to southis 1 inch.The total length of the replacement tone control screws that I purchased from north to south is about 1 1/2 inches.I also measured the length of the screws on an original Leedy & Ludwig "perpendicular" tone control that I've got on another L&L snare drum (not a New Era) from north to south and it's also about 1 1/2 inches.

Hmm.....maybe it was a Rogers tone control that was fitted to it.....anyone have a measurement for oldschool?

Posted on 14 years ago

I've attached a pic of the three holes from the interior of the shell as requested by vintagemore2000.

The total length from the top hole to the bottom is 1 inch (2" to 3" in pic).

Hope it helps!

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here