Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Late 70's Ludwig Snare Drum Re-wrap

Posted for Mike L.

Hi All,

Ordinarily, I wouldn't start a thread over re-wrapping a snare drum. Happens everyday! What makes this one special, is the wrap I used and how I came by the drum.

The wrap was a left-over piece of impossible to get Black Galaxy Sparkle. I had acquired a piece and I used it to build a floor tom to complete the set of a good buddy of mine. After completing his floor tom, I had just enough left over to piece together for a snare drum shell.

My buddy, Mike L. (the guy I built the f.t. for,) heard I was looking for a project drum to use the wrap on and he gifted me a late 70's/early 80's Chrome Over Wood (COW) Ludwig snare drum. The wood under the wrap is maple that has been given a Granitone finish by Ludwig.

The drum now looks and sounds awesome! Pure J-fest sound from this one. I customized it a litle by adding single-flange COB hoops and clips. Gives it a real retro look.

Mike, I told Bev... if I drop dead, it's yours! I just don't plan on doing it anytime soon however. I hope you don't mind if I pull a few more years out of the bag before you claim your bequest! LOL

Enjoy the photos...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

great job john.you didnt waste anytime on that one, as usual! i really dig it. those snares sound a lot better than people realize. i loved it,in fact. great touch on the hoops and clips. thats really nice and should open it up even more.

are you sure its 6 ply? the only reason i mention that is where i see the drum in the 84 catalog where it lists it as 4ply. were you able to count the plys? i just always took it for granted.

hope you enjoy it!

mike

Posted on 13 years ago

No! I was 'assuming' because of the era, that was one of the 6-ply shells. I'll have to look. Either way, you're right, the quality of the sound that comes from the drum is surprising. I didn't expect it to sound so good myself, but I've been proven wrong more times than I care to admit to.

Thanks for the drum and for the kind words... it was pure fun to work on.

John

Posted on 13 years ago

Another home run John......you do have the talent for turning the ordinary,into something special...really breautiful drum,again combining the modern with a touch of vintage.

Steve B

Posted on 13 years ago

Very cool! You do nice work, thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago

Great drum man! If it sounds as good as it looks, you should have a keeper there for sure.

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm sorely tempted to just give it back to Mike... he's the only one with a Galaxy sparkle kit that I know of. But it'll be around for a little while, I want to enjoy it myself. Thanks for the kind words...

John

Posted on 13 years ago

Mr. Shuffler, You are the the drum wizzard, or should I say jinks out in PA.

Outstanding...............Again.

I would go to the shop that had you and the drumjinx working there.

OK,...... are those "world max" clips and rims?

I am digging that retro look. Forethought,........ design......Goood!

Scott A.

Oh yeah, more Blae pics coming. OT, O no.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 13 years ago

great work! love the single flange hoops.... very nice touch....

Posted on 13 years ago

well,the drum has evolved some more...

john and i did some swapping out and i ended up with the drum again. i have a 64 pioneer in original galaxy sparkle but figure i will never be able to afford a jazz festival in galaxy. the last one i found, i turned a buddy on to it and it went for a grand. so, this will be my galaxy jazz festival wanna be.

i gave it a 60's twist. i added some cob hoops from a 60's jazz festival and badged it with a keystone badge that i had. i have left the interior original so as to not appear that we're trying to fake a different drum. the upper placement on the badge would be a sign anyway. the hoops and clips were actually used to get my 20's ludwig up and rolling. i gifted the b/o badge to a buddy of mine that had a nice drum missing a badge.

the pic is as it is right now. i scored a p83 and matching snare butt for it that should be in any day now. that should complete it. thanks for the swap and the great work on it john!

mike

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here