Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Labor of Love

Hey Guys,

I am very fortunate as to have finally gotten my '66 Ludwig Downbeat kit back from my 2nd xwife's brother after "loaning" this kit to him in '85. It's my first drum set my father bought for me in '66. It started as a standard downbeat Pink Champagne 20,12, 14 and came with a chrome supra, not the downbeat snare (don't know why). Later in '66 I added a 13' tom (had to have it) and in '69 added a second bass drum (had to have that too). Used the kit extensively and kept it cherry. Bought a Black Octaplus in '77 and the Downbeats were packed up and stored. I lent them out to the brother in law and he lives in the Dallas area and kept them on his back porch for years so the got sun and water exposure. I am bringing them back as best I can cause I just want to play them. Parts are on order and heads are coming. Can't wait to have them finished up and I will definitely gig with them in the future. Sorry for the long story but I think it's a good one.

Posted on 10 years ago

Hey, I love stories like this!

I'd give just about anything to locate the first kit I owned!

Anyway, good luck, and please post us some pics when you can!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago

Ya that is a good story! Lesson learned for me, never loan drums to brother-in-law,lol!

Looking forward to seeing them! Congrats for getting them back!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

That is killer you were able to get them back! I can only imagine what it will be like to play them again after 29 years!

In a land of chimpanzees I was a monkey.
Posted on 10 years ago

From johnpdrums

I lent them out to the brother in law and he lives in the Dallas area and kept them on his back porch for years so the got sun and water exposure.

You know this has always bugged me. When I borrow things from friends and family, I take care of it as if it were my own. If anything happens I feel an obligation to replace or repair the damage. Anyone else feel this way? good story BTW. Rant over.

Posted on 10 years ago

Boy I can identify with this story. About 3 years ago I got my dads Fibes kit back from my nephew. He trashed it I restored it. Would love to see some pics when you get the kit ready to play.

Posted on 10 years ago

ASAP, we will need some VERY good quality photos of the shells, sans heads. If there is water/sun/delamination...etc., we will need to see the extent of the damage before there can be any substantive evaluation of the extent of damage and thus any help in your restoration project.

Not to be a downer, but to bring you to reality so that the members of this forum can give you clear, concise, accurate and objective opinions where true to original restoration is concerned.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 10 years ago

^^^Yup. That middle ply of poplar is probably going to be toast. Were they kept with both heads on? Good news if so, but even then you could be looking at serious rot.

I was once given an old 3 ply Lud set that had been stored under a porch in Tampa for 5 years. The outer plies were fine, but I had to flow a bunch of CA glue into the poplar just to solidify it again. It worked and gave the middle of the shell enough integrity that the bearing edges could be reshaped.

Posted on 10 years ago

Won't let me upload pics???

Posted on 10 years ago
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here