Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

LA Camco Natural

My latest rehab project. 12", 13", 16", and 20" LA Camco kit in natural maple finish. All orphans that were pieced together to come up with this kit. Still have a 14" floor on the way from forum member:antipodes(thanks) and with that it will be my killer gigging kit. Shown in 1 up and 1 down for lead photo but others below. This was a painstaking slow project but they surprisingly turned out to match each other. Buffed and polished all the shells, and tumbled and polished all the hardware. Stunning sounding kit. Will work on getting some better photos but for now enjoy, I know I am.

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/152793838.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/152793832.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/152793833.jpg[/IMG]

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Another nice rehab job!

Posted on 10 years ago

Congratulations nopork, another Camco set saved !

All drums seem to match perfectly.

I bet they sound phenomenal.

Posted on 10 years ago

Beautiful looking kit !!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Very nice....the 14" floor doesn't looks as pristine as those you have there but it's an LA Camco 14" floor and how often do they come up? With some work you can probably make it shine up pretty nicely. Having trouble re-sizing the photo otherwise I'd post it here.

How do you "tumble" hardware? I just washed then polished....

Posted on 10 years ago

From Antipodes

Very nice....the 14" floor doesn't looks as pristine as those you have there but it's an LA Camco 14" floor and how often do they come up? With some work you can probably make it shine up pretty nicely. Having trouble re-sizing the photo otherwise I'd post it here.How do you "tumble" hardware? I just washed then polished....

As far as the floor tom looking good, this 16" was pretty tough looking also before I started on it, so I am not the least bit worried about the one from you looking at the photos you sent me. Besides it is going to be used with the 12" and the bass as my gigging kit and will get some abuse anyway.

I use a vibratory bowl tumbler like Purdie Shuffle uses(there is a thread on this forum about it). It is the Harbor Freight 18 lb. model and uses fine walnut shells for the media. I then add some fine cut liquid automotive finishing compound(3M Pefect III or Wizards Final Finish brands) and some regular liquid car wax and tumble the parts for around 2 hours or so. Usually they come out looking like new. Then hand polish with a coat of chrome polish and a micro fiber cloth. The tumbler really works great for rusty tension rods also. I have found that by adding the finishing compounds and wax it lengthens the life of the polishing media many times over. I can be sanding, buffing and polishing shells while the hardware is tumbling. Makes rehabbing so much easier and faster and this year I have done around 10 + kits already, for myself and others. Rehabbing gives me something to do, that I enjoy, during retirement.

Posted on 10 years ago

*no-pork - (*I'll have to ask you privately sometime about the origin of that handle! lol)

Your LA Camco kit is a stunner! I did the same thing several years back. It took me two years to assemble a set of Oaklawn orphan shells along with all the necessary hardware. I ended up with the best sounding set of drums I have ever played. Camco drums just sing.

You did a great job. Excellent save. Enjoy them for many years to come.

John

PS - Aren't those damn tumblers from Harbor Freight just the t-i-t-s? I so wish I had discovered tumblers years ago. So many hours, so much life wasted soaking and polishing, wish I had all that time back! Oh well, no matter, I have one now and it has freed me up to do other things while the parts are now cleaning themselves! Walking

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

I am going to have to get on this "tumbler" wagon. Sounds like the $h*t to me! I hate cleaning and polishing rusty hardware.

By the way, nopork, nice tubs! Sure will be extra sweet once you add the 14" floor tom. Nice job.

- EMD
Posted on 10 years ago

Stellar job on the restoration! They look Fantastic! That's the really nice thing about L.A. era Camcos, All the shells were top shelf premium, or the best that Keller made, kinda like having a Maple Dynasonics for each and every drum shell.Cool1

Posted on 10 years ago

Look great.

Nice job.

I love it when some one saves a set of Camcos

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here