Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

just picked up this Hayman kit

I just bought this Hayman vibrasonic kit. I haven't seen it up close yet as it's up the island at my folks house but my brother took these pics for me. It appears to be a faded ingot gold and of the 69-73 vintage. I'd say it's closer to 68/69 judging by the original George Hayman heads. It has 18" BD, 12, 13 and 14" toms, 14" wood snare, original speedamatic bd pedal and hihat stand as well as a cymbal stand. It also came with some 14" Zildjian A hats. Oh, and a cool old pillow in the BD.

I'll get it at the start of March and get to work cleaning it up. It has a bit of rust on the chrome parts and the wrap looks like it needs a good clean. Is there a particularly good way to clean up these metallic wraps? I'll be needing a front BD hoop, T-rods and claws if anyone has any floating around. Otherwise it looks complete except a BD mounted cymbal arm which wouldn't work with the 2 tom set up anyway.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

here are some more photos

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 13 years ago

and a few more for good measure

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Man! LOL

EXCELLENT SCORE!

Those are super rare,as far as I know........Bowing

Looks like the 13" was added later..........

I would sell that off,to offset your costs,and play it the way it came.........18,12,14 and snare..........Bebop heaven!

Ditch the non George Hayman heads <(put those in storage),and get new Remo's or Evens etc for the whole set...........will really come alive once you get the bottom heads on......

Enjoy!

Those BD tension rods are sure cool too..........

Try Supreme drums in London,UK for your parts,and Mike Ellis on here.........

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

had my hayman kit stolen in late 70's as did another local player here in south oz, so hang on to those babies.

Posted on 13 years ago

Fayray-Your set in ok it would be cool if you could box it up and send it to me i pay shipping..Laughing HLaughing H...Ok i will say it your set is VERY_VERY RARE!!!..This is the first 18" bass drum made by Hayman i have seen in 35 years..Wow what a fine what did you pay for it??...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="SandyBrown"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]That is one sweet kit, congrats on your find...great![/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]The bass drum pillow looks vintage too![/COLOR]

Posted on 13 years ago

thanks all. Yes, it sure does seem to be a rare one. For all my online searching I can't find another 18" hayman BD kit that's not a picture in a catalog. It was called their recording set so maybe they're all stashed away in studios.

Blairndrums - yes, the 13" tom is a different colour and the recording set only came with a 12" tom but it is fitted with the double tom holder. Maybe it was a special order and then the 13" tom didn't get used by later owners so didn't fade the same way? When I get my hands on it I'll probably get a better feel for it.

Mikey - I'm too embarassed to say what I paid for it. I actually tried to pay more than the asking price but he wasn't interested. Let's just say the seller wanted it to go to a good home. I'll treat it right and keep it in the collection - I'd feel terrible profiting out of it.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 13 years ago

Don't know much at all about Hey Man's!....but,isn't that the same mount they used for the single tom also?

Then,someone bought the 13" and extra mount,then added it?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Soooo coool, buddy.

Back in the 70s, I found those lugs more than UGLY.

Somehow the design of it must have changed over the centuries ... Or my eyes? ;)

Congrats!

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here