Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Japanese snares

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hola.

Just a couple of my latest renovations/upgrades....keeps me off the street, y'know ?

Let's face it...the coolest thing about old '60's Japanese stencil drums are their finishes...and hardware, sometimes.

So, I tend to grab these when I see 'em, because with a little work, they make quite decent drums. And their vintage MOJO is ....irrefutable Cool1

So, my basic renovation on these is along the lines of recutting the (usually factory-rough) bearing edges from soft roundovers to a 45 degree bevel with small outside roundover....improving the snare beds which usually suck if they exist at all...and then disassembling doing a thorough cleaning of shell and hardware. Sometimes I need to replace a throwoff...but fortunately not in these instances.

New edges plus a careful choice of heads (typically a head which can produce a dry tone and cut back on ringing) and the engaging of the stock head muffler...usually makes these purrrr quite nicely.

On the b/w onyx one...I actually replaced the badly pitted Japanese-fake-Slingerland lugs with bona-fide vintage real-Slingerland lugs.

Another thing which has been suggested is polyurethaning the interiors of the shells to increase the hardness of the interior surfaces. I have not tried this yet (typically I would fine-sand and apply tung oil to an interior face...but old '60's luan is VERY difficult to sand down to a smooth finish; and tung oil is very penetrating so I would have concerns on thin 1 or 3-ply luan shells).[/COLOR]

2 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Nice snares there Jaye - I also like the pile-o-drums in the background of the 2nd picture. Ah, if only my wife would let me keep drums all over the house.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Oh, you mean my... ever-evolving... Leaning Towers ???!

I haven't been able to get to my coat closet for about 2 years now...nor able to sit at my piano...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

And that's exactly the way it should be D' Drummer

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Tell my girlfriend that....I have to withstand here ire everytime I bring in another orphan....Hurting[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Heh. I just bought the kit that matches your snare up there. (I got a snare too.)

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/3424135773_a4deaaccab.jpg?v=1239222571[/img]

So, what did you do with that snare? I've found the edges on this kit to be pretty good. Put a Vintage A and Aquarian Reso on that snare and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. Working on getting the rest of the kit cleaned and reheaded. I'm thinking Coated/Clear Ambassadors, or maybe Vintage As on top.

Posted on 15 years ago

Specifically, what did you do to "improve" the snare bed? I'm having a hell of a time getting the snares to stop rattling and I have a hunch it's the bed that's the culprit. It looks like this, not very deep or wide.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3424140143_3334f06f21.jpg?v=1239223075[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Dude, that's a NIIIIICE old Japanese kit. Those are the kind which have some value, because the wraps are so unique. Plus, it's a 3-tone wrap (not a 2-tone) which is ever a bit rarer.

Is the primary color a bugundy red, though ? It looks in the pic like it's a Tiger's Eye, more rust color.

Use a flat file or a dremel with a sanding bit to deepen the snare beds. You can even use a sandpaper/woodblock combo, but it'll take more effort.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

How much deeper? I swear, I'm not a drumming newbie here, but I've really never given snare beds any thought. I have a file and a dremel, so I'm good there. But yeah, I'm getting this crappy snare sound. The drum itself sounds nice, but the wires just aren't sitting right.

The wrap is interesting. I don't know about your snare, but my drums have all faded out a bit. What's happened it you can see the grain under the wrap so you get this bronze and maroon coloring. It's pretty cool, and there's still quite a bit of the ivory/silver left too.

Put some coated Ambs on the tom, Aquarian Clear Classics on the bottom (don't know why, just got in a habit of using those as resos.) Already liking what I hear and I don't even have them tweaked up right yet. Maybe I could have gone with the Vintage A or even Emperors as they might be a little bright, but I don't have 'em dialed in quite yet.

Posted on 15 years ago

So I took a swing at this. Widened and deepened the bed so it's about 3/16 and 5" wide. Still rattles like a mofo, though it's much better. Is there anything else I can do, or is this just going to be something I have to live with?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here