Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Is this normal ?

My first set of XP8s here, and all the floor tom legs have a "lean" to them.......

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 9 years ago

From kevins

My first set of XP8s here, and all the floor tom legs have a "lean" to them.......Am I missing something here?Thanks

Kevins!

It is in fact... normal! I don't get too involved with the Rogers XP8's as Jack/Ploughman is THE guy for those, but... I didn't want you to fret too much until he explains the why behind it. But again, it is NORMAL! They all do it. Has to do with the casting/mount design itself actually. Doesn't bother the drums performance of course, more of a small aesthetic issue...

Tommyp

Posted on 9 years ago

How odd. Having never owned any Big R's, I wasn't aware of this quirky feature. Also, I just noticed from the photo that the leg mount is not centered between the lugs. Strange. I'm waiting for Ploughman's explanation for this.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago

Well three legs evenly spaced, will not sit centred between 8 evenly spaced lugs..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

From Tommyp

Kevins!It is in fact... normal! I don't get too involved with the Rogers XP8's as Jack/Ploughman is THE guy for those, but... I didn't want you to fret too much until he explains the why behind it. But again, it is NORMAL! They all do it. Has to do with the casting/mount design itself actually. Doesn't bother the drums performance of course, more of a small aesthetic issue...Tommyp

Thanks, Tommy

Seemed odd to me, but I'm glad I'm not missing something....

Kevin
Posted on 9 years ago

probem is that the screws will damage the memrylockparts over time, giving the leg the space to move sideways.

here's how I fixed it:

used 2 component epoxy metal glue to glue a thin piece of inox (which is hard) on the memrylockpart. legs upright perfectly now, problem will not come back (screws won't damage inox).

1 attachments
Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

bart - when you say 'inox' are you talking about a piece of stainless steel?

Excuse my ignorance, just not sure what you mean.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

yep, stainless steel (inox=inoxidable)

by the way I see I posted a wrong pic. In this pic the piece of steel is gleud on the opposite side of the worn out hole. I made it there to correct for leaning a little extra. Anyway, I guess the idea is clear. There is a piece of steel on the hole as well.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

And my guess is that JB Weld (or JB Kwik) would work as bartw's 2-part epoxy.

Good stuff for the vintage drum enthusiast; I've used it to repair stripped holes, to attach a piece to add thickness to a bass drum hoop that my bass pedal couldn't grip, etc.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago

The leg mounts were not centered between the lugs in any of the Swivomatic or Memriloc era drums. 16 floors had 3 mounts. One was centered between two lugs, the other two were slightly off center.

The leg tilt is normal, and is a combination of the design of the memriloc mount and wear of the thumb screw into the memriloc itself. It is just normal. There isn't a why. Best floor tom mount ever was the Fullerton cast Swivomatic.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here