Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Is It Just Me?????

Or is the Rogers Super Ten an extremely underrated drum???

Man...I've had this one for a short time, but it wasn't until I did a session and really heard this thing...

I've got quite a few vintage snares....Love 'em all, but this baby has a POP! Like none of the others. And it keeps it's "HEAVY" tone at the same time...I've set it up with a Remo Powerstroke..but I'm thinking of putting an Ambassador on to open it up more....I kinda like controlling sound from the topside...

Any thoughts, suggestions...appreciated

Keep it funky,

Stixofire

Posted on 15 years ago

Stixofire!

Here's a response that I wrote a little over a year ago on the Rogers Superten... it's the 3rd post down, have a look! I agree on all counts regarding this particular model snare drum... of interest is how/why Rogers debuted this model... enjoy!! Oh, BTW: It's a steel shell snare drum, so it tends to be a bit "warmer" than a COB in reflectivity... thus ... a Powerstroke will lock it up a tad with regard to overtone/projection. BUT!, as stated so many, many, times over the years: Head choice/sound is completely subjective to personal opinion! That being said, I have mine set up with a single ply Aquarian Satin Finish Coated on the batter, and the drum speaks beautifully and articulately in a straight ahead jazz setting!... and has that real nice "pop" in the funk arena that you have nicely described, especially when driving the band with all rim shots.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=6778#post6778

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

I really like this drum.

I have one set up with an Evans J1 etched, which plays really open. One with a Powerstroke 3, and I agree with Tommy on that. I have another with a coated Ambassador ......also open, and loud.

The SuperTen has been very underrated.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

From Tommyp

Stixofire!Oh, BTW: It's a steel shell snare drum, so it tends to be a bit "warmer" than a COB in reflectivity... Tommyp

Ummm...steel warmer than brass?

Posted on 15 years ago

Ummm... yeah it is... "warmer". Please DO take note of the quotes on either side of the word "warmer" in my original post however... because, I was comparing Rogers COB shells to Rogers steel shells.

I do in fact own/play all the Rogers snare drums of which I speak, although I do have my personal favorite, but that being said: By "warmer", I was simply stating that the steel vs. COB shell is in fact "warmer" in reflectivity and sounds, how shall I say, not as bright. Rogers COB shells are pretty thin, ESPECIALLY the earlier Dynasonics, specifically the 7 line models, of which I have two... a 1964 and a 1965... plus they're brass! The COB Dynasonic with it's thin COB shell set up with the same heads as a Rogers SuperTen, and played/compared side by side, sounds much BRIGHTER then the steel shelled SuperTen, the SuperTen sounding a bit duller if you will... hence... "warmer". That was just the word I chose to describe the difference between the two, and make no mistake... there is a difference. So!...

If the word "warmer" was confusing to you, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all... feel free to substitute an adjective of your choice, as the auditory results between Rogers COB and steel shells will remain quite... unchanged... at least with my personal comparisons anyway. YOUR mileage may vary!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow!!!

Thanks Tommy...Ploughman, Lugs!

Definitely a "Duller" sound....Or, would that be..."Warmer?" Hmmmm....

How 'bout..."Wuller!" Yeah...Wuller!!!

Gonna dive into your article!! And, change heads and have some fun!!!

Be good,

Stixofire

Posted on 15 years ago

From Stixofire

Wow!!!Thanks Tommy...Ploughman, Lugs!Definitely a "Duller" sound....Or, would that be..."Warmer?" Hmmmm....How 'bout..."Wuller!" Yeah...Wuller!!!Gonna dive into your article!! And, change heads and have some fun!!!Be good,Stixofire

TommyP, you've sold ME on the SuperTen, now it seems I have another vintage drum to pursue!! Yes Sir The 6 1/2x14 is awesome and the description you give puts it RIGHT up my ally!

Thanks!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

Vipercussionist!...

Cool thing with a Rogers SuperTen is... they're pretty easy to pick up for NOT a lot of money as they seem to fly in under the radar just about all the time... and that will be regardless of my mentioning it here too! The drum just never got the attention from the Rogers faithful that say the Powertone did... or especially the Dynasonic series... which is a nice segue here:

The Rogers SuperTen is a lot easier to get in "the zone" then the Dynasonic, either COB or wood... and this comment is coming from me, an avid Dynasonic player... although I have to say that I heavily fancy the wood Dynasonic, but already I digress...

The COS shell on the SuperTen really does give it a nice sound, and again, not as bright as the COB shells. In the 61/2X14 size... ( if you are fortunate enough to find one! ) ... I can only imagine that the drum will have even more "throat"... Indeed!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

From Tommyp

Vipercussionist!...Cool thing with a Rogers SuperTen is... they're pretty easy to pick up for NOT a lot of money as they seem to fly in under the radar just about all the time... and that will be regardless of my mentioning it here too! The drum just never got the attention from the Rogers faithful that say the Powertone did... or especially the Dynasonic series... which is a nice segue here:The Rogers SuperTen is a lot easier to get in "the zone" then the Dynasonic, either COB or wood... and this comment is coming from me, an avid Dynasonic player... although I have to say that I heavily fancy the wood Dynasonic, but already I digress...The COS shell on the SuperTen really does give it a nice sound, and again, not as bright as the COB shells. In the 61/2X14 size... ( if you are fortunate enough to find one! ) ... I can only imagine that the drum will have even more "throat"... Indeed!Tommyp

You can bet I'll have my eyes open for one!! Thanks for the tip!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

From Tommyp

Ummm... yeah it is... "warmer". Please DO take note of the quotes on either side of the word "warmer" in my original post however... because, I was comparing Rogers COB shells to Rogers steel shells.Tommyp

I understood the meaning of "warmer" in an auditory context. Sorry I wasn't more clear. My response was because this is the first time I've seen a steel shell called warmer than a brass shell. Perhaps it's due to differences in shell thickness.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here