Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Initial Stamped K

Hey everyone. Picked up this 12" cymbal the other day and the underside of the bell is stamped LB and the number 12. Anyone got any idea as to what it could be/mean?

The Zildjian stamp points to it being pretty dang old and it's still got a signature as well.

Any information would be great!

Posted on 3 years ago

Louie Bellson? (1924-2009)

Louis Barbarin? (1902-1997)

Lionel Batiste? (1931-2012)

Larry Bunker? (1928-2005)

Also could be a classical player's, too.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 3 years ago

Louis Bellson was the first thing I thought, too! He just seems like the kind of guy who would have had all his cymbals engraved like that. Who knows? Nice cymbal to have!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 3 years ago

Louis Bellson was my first thought as well, but then I figured there was no way I just found Louis Bellson's old K.

But hey, I wouldn't be *upset* if I did! This cymbal came with a set of late 40s Radio Kings. From the story I got, the guy was a jazz drummer in the 1940s and 50s in the NYC area. His initials were not LB but the set did come with an LB-initialed bass drum head as well.

Posted on 3 years ago

It's not out of the realm of possibilities. That's some fancy engraving. The number 12 looks kind of art-deco which was a popular style in the U.S. during the 1930's...Bellson became famous in the 50's, I think. My guess is that the engraving was done earlier than that. It would sure be cool if it was his old cymbal, though! It's a cool cymbal even if it's not someone famous.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 3 years ago

Louie was the winner of the Slingerland/Gene Krupa Drum contest in 1941-ish and was an endorser soon after. It would be amazing if it was originally his.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 3 years ago

could get in touch with some Louie bellson experts/curators..

https://louiebellson.info/drum-equipment-layout

and also Steve Maxwell (has some of LB) equipment and might recognize

~~

Armand's quoted in the Zildjian book when he ,as a young man, first came across Krupa, Krupa had an old K Con bottom on his hi hat ( As many of the early guys did/ still used/ old K Cons...until Avedis got his operation up and running well...

````````

what does the cymbal weigh? more splash or more band weight..(?

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 3 years ago

I wonder if the trademark on this cymbal is the rare and actually never seen "French stamp" that was referred to on drum form?

And mind you: The guy who brought it up can't tell us where this info supposedly came from, and in addition he can't tell us anything about it.

And even so he's burst into a cymbal trademark discussion full of hyperbole (and full of s**t I might add), all the while acting like he was about to set the entire drumming world on fire just because he read an article that some of us knew about for at least 10 years now; and that I read way back in the late 1960's.

Somebody needs to tell this clown to lay off the Sativa.

Posted on 3 years ago

lol....think that fella (on another forum..) saw "CIE" and blew it up into "French stamp)

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 3 years ago

lol....think that fella (on another forum..) saw "CIE" and blew it up into "French stamp)

And that's just what I figured. He doesn't even have a clue.

So maybe he should just keep his big yap shut for a while and start to listen for just once; and he might actually get educated, which he obviously needs.

But that's not going to happen on that site.

This one.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here