Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Identifying these Slingerland drums.....

Could someone please help me identify these Slingerland drums? I am looking for some parts for them and want to make sure I am looking in the right place.

If you look at picture 2967 there is 1 tom mounted to the bass drum. I want to mount the other one but am not sure what is available to mount it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eddie

2 attachments
120.1 kB
142.7 kB
Posted on 16 years ago

Take the heads of of the second tom.. it does not appear to look like a slingerland to me and really does not belong to the set..

The set should have one mounted tom.

Others can give you more options, but there is no cheap way to add that second tom without more hardware.

It is what it is and if you need more drums, then consider finding a set that fits those requirements and is set the way you want it.

There are some players on the forum and maybe they can give you some quick and easy options..

David

Posted on 16 years ago

You have a beautiful vintage 4 piece set there... I have a modern 5 piece Mapex set that we might be able to work a deal around if you really want a 5 piece set.

I will dig through my Slingerland book when I get home tonight and give you some best guess particulars on that set you have.. unless somebody jumps in ahead of me.

It would be a bad plan to modify that set in anyway to accomodate another tom. Get a seperate stand to stick that other tom on the set if you really want to use it.

My two cents...

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Jim,

I looked inside the drums and the date is stamped June of 1964. I have the original heads in a box and got the new ones for myself (and my kids) to use. My uncle bought them used in 1969 or 1970 and kept them in my parent's basement. After my father passed away my Mom decided to move to a smaller place so I brought the drums to my house and cleaned them up. The pictures are before the clean up and new heads. I also bought some Zildjian cymbals and cheap cymbal stands for them. I see there are different names for different sets and was hoping to see what mine are. Thanks for the reply and I look forward to hearing from you!

Eddie

Posted on 16 years ago

What are the sizes on the drums?

I was hoping somebody else who knows something about this would jump in for you..

In digging through the "The Slingerland Book" by Rob Cook; (you should pick up a copy), I'm thinking maybe it's a '64 Brilliant Gold Windsor Ensemble 6-N.

That seems the right config.. but that's just a stab at it looking at pictures in the book.

They are very nice drums in a great color!

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]binskyhere:

You have a 1964 "Gene Krupa Deluxe Outfit No. 1N", the flagship drum set in the Slingerland line of that year. Your original Sparkling Gold finish has faded quite a bit, but still will look very nice cleaned up with some good quality plastic polish, such as Novus #2. The matching Model #153 snare drum in the year 1964 would normally have a solid maple shell (1-ply maple), so you might check yours. One very easy indicator to check for a 1964 vintage is whether or not there is a date stamp in ink on the shell interior, such as the toms and bass drum have, JUN 64. If the the snare drum has a date stamp it is 3-ply; if there is no date stamp it is solid maple.

This kit, unmodified, is a treasure.

Oh, and the second tom is Japanese, made by Pearl in the 1960s.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 16 years ago

Well there you go... the drums don't get any better... and neither does the ID!!

Hey Doc... you know I was leaning toward a Krupa kit but no second bass shell mount cymbal behind that tom threw me off... I was thinking the tom mount should be up between the lugs and it should have second cymbal mount on the shell.

RATS!! Maybe my kit... which I thought was Krupa kit is not a Krupa after all..??

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Jim:

You have Krupa kit also, of earlier vintage circa 1957 - 1961. The standard catalog Krupa came with cymbal holder on the right side of the BD only, unless you asked for the second one. The late 1950's catalog picture had both mounts, but again, you had to ask for the second one on the left.

Your BD has the standard pre-1958 cymbal mount, while your FT has the leg mounts that came out in late 1957. Do you know if your drums all came together from the factory as a kit, or was the FT added post factory? Either way, cool drums.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 16 years ago

Well... I just don't know... it was a basket case. I'd like to figure that out though. Where would I start?

Uneducated estimated value for your gold ones... $600-$900 for the kit minus snare.. $250-$400 for the snare, that is just based on some closed ebay auctions.

Posted on 16 years ago

DrCJW,

I checked the snare drum and it does not have a date stamp on the inside. It does look like solid maple in there. Does this diminish the cost of the set or is the correct snare for it? As a point of reference, what would a set from this year be worth? I'm not selling it :)

Thanks,

Eddie

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here