Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

I played a gig using a 1940 Ludwig Junior bass drum!

I may have mentioned this Ludwig Junior kit before...or not...

It's a 22 X 10 bass drum and it has a matching snare drum and a two-tone woodblock and a hoop-mounted swan neck cymbal holder and an old China cymbal...and stands and throne...It's a nice, complete little set. Of course, it has the original calfskin heads (reeeeeally nice ones, too!). It is a single-tension design. The spurs are like little vices with spikes coming out one end. They just screw/clip onto the lower front end of the bass drum hoop and they seemed to work fine for the soft-touch stuff we were playing.

I just got the urge to play it on this particular gig (Brazilian guitarist and myself) because it has such a big sound at such a soft volume level -a full, deep bass drum sound. On top of that, I also used one of the old fluffy wool beaters on the pedal. It was like big dark clouds passing by each stroke! wwwWWWHHHHHOOOOOMFFFFFffffff! (except softer)Mister T. It made the bass drum kind of like the Brazilian surdo.

It's really an amazing bass drum. It's a solid (1-ply) maple shell with no reinforcement hoops! I mean...by today's standards, that kind of shell would be considered SUPER-deluxe! But, the Ludwig Junior was intended for KIDS! I honestly can't imagine this kind of kit ever surviving most kids...but I am old enough to know how to respect the instrument and so it was like playing a rare, fine-instrument for me. I had total respect for it insofar as it's limitations as well as its strengths.

Of course, it probably wouldn't work in MOST settings...but it was PERFECT for this duo gig.

Vintage drums -nothing new like 'em! :)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

great post. made me feel like i was there playing that gig. i have a lot of respect for someone that enjoys the beauty of a kit like that. would love to see some pics sometime.thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

Here is one of the complete kit:

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/O-Lugs/LudJRresize1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

Your picture of your drum set is the physical evidence of cool! I am very jealous.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs,

I saw an old "Ludwig Junior" bass drum pedal in a shop just the other day.. looked kind of like a mini Speed King probably 20 years newer than your kit.

I thought to myself how cool would it be to have the kit this pedal came with... I guess you answered that question.. it would be VERY COOL!

Nice!Yes Sir

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, guys!

Hey, Jim, that's really cool about the Ludwig Junior pedal! My kit came with a Ludwig "Racer" pedal that had a broken linkage between beater/footboard and the spring was....sprung, I guess you could say. ;) I used an 80's DW 5000 Turbo pedal in combination with the fluffy wool beater in the picture -mainly because that's the pedal I use on most of my gigs. However, I use a SpeedKing when I set it up at home.

Here is a link to the thread at the Drum Image Gallery (here):

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3993

I would love to see what a Ludwig Junior pedal looks like. I know our beloved webmaster (David) has a collection of old pedals...maybe he has a picture of a Ludwig Junior somewhere (?) David?

P.S. I tried to resize the first picture to thumbnail size, but it only shows up as a red "X" in the Drum Gallery pictures. What did I do wrong this time? LOL! :)Chewie:

Posted on 16 years ago

I fixed it...

It shows up on the home page now...

I do not have any 40's juniors photographed...

You have to add them as an attachment in the gallery...

Use the new sizer and set it to 600...

I just tested it with your photo and it worked...

Remember the gallery can only have one attachment

David

Posted on 16 years ago

1940 Catalog Photo and I added the 1940 Ludwig Junior Pedal photo to the pedal page

David

[IMG]http://vintagesnaredrums.com/images/pedals/1940_ludwig_pedals_th.jpg[/IMG]

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

It does look like this pedal..

Click Here

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Those are GRRRRREAT! Thanks, David!

Some more trivia regarding the "Junior" drum kit...

It's extremely lightweight...I mean EXTREMELY lightweight...but solid early American craftsmanship is oozing out of it. Even this little kit, which was considered a "toy" in many regards was, in fact, as well-made as most things produced in this country at that time. In a way, it's odd that this drum is dated "4102' (which translates to : "February of 1941) because that was definitely made just after the start of WWII, when all resources were being pooled and something like a drum set would have been considered somewhat frivolous.

I think the "Junior" kit was around since the 20's in pretty much the same configuration. Mine must have been one of the last ones made (or close to it I would suspect).Burger Kin

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here