Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

I played a gig using a 1940 Ludwig Junior bass drum!

...oh, and by the way...

A few discussions have come about in regards to the drawbacks of single-tension systems (like with this Junior kit). I must say...it was one of the nicest options for quick tuning changes of any drum I have played. I don't know that it would or wouldn't work as great on tom toms and snare drums, but because of the low pitches of the bass drum range, the single-tension T-rods/Claws worked great. In fact, I changed the tension on the bass drum several times during the gig in relation to what kind of samba or bossa nova tune we were playing. On the slow ones, I lowered the tension and backed off on the muffler so that the tone was low, long and deep. On the faster tunes, I increased the tension and put the muffler on so that each note could be articulated.

The bass drum and the snare drum were the ONLY drums in the kit. That meant that I had to actually bring my awareness of the bass drum up to a higher level. I discovered that I could do things related to the Brazilian beats like leaving the beater against the bass drum head on the first stroke and then on the second stroke I would let the beater rebound quickly. This gave a kind of muted, slightly higher-pitched sound that alternated with the more open and slightly deeper sound -very similar to the effect of a surdo.

And, I used my Ludwig Downbeat snare drum tuned very high. It almost gave the effect of the Brazilian repenique drum -lots of contrast to the bass drum sound.

The Junior snare drum is a nice drum, but inappropriate for gigging (for MY gigs, anyway)..but the bass drum was a dream!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs, do you have a website with your music posted? I would be interested in checking out your "Brazilian beats".

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

Here's few pics of the Ludwig Junior pedal I had run across...

I actually went to shop today and made him an offer on the Acro (in the Pic)and the Jr. Pedal.. $150 for both and the Acro needs a new throw off, wires and the muffler is not orginal. He wanted $200 for the pedal and $150 for the drum., I said $180 for both.., he wouldn't move, that's got to be high.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Jim,

That's waaaay high!

A vintage pedal like that should go for about $50.00 (at the most)...and the Acro should be $50.00 in that condition...so you offer was MORE than fair!

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah... geez $200 for a pedal that's just absurd. I paid $80 for a really nice Slingerland Epic AA and still feel a little sick about doing that.

Do you think a straight up trade of a Speed King for the Junior would be fair??

I'm not sure why that Junior appeals to me but I have two nice Speed Kings one of which I do not use at all.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Jim,

Well...The SpeedKing is a very "useable" pedal and I'm not sure about the Junior. It does LOOK cool...but I would probably consider it more of a completetion to a kit than I would depend on it for gigging...but I have never played upon one, so I can't comment on it. It does look like the one you are looking at is in very good shape.

I would say make the trade. You can ALWAYS find another SpeedKing.

Posted on 16 years ago

I just ran across this post by googling judwig junior pedal. I got me a luddy jr bass drum pedal off ebay a few weeks ago for $7.50 + $15 shipping. lol

It was in ok shape, but i buffed all the gold paint or powder coat or what ever it was. I had the pedal bracket powder coated for $15 in a textured satin black. It turned out fabulous for my kids drum kit. I have $37.50 in it. Theres one on ebay right now for 75 + shipping. Im looking for another one. I plan on adapting the pedal to a small double braced gibralter hi hat. The hi hat stand is pretty small compared to the others I have, but the pedal is too big for kids. L@@K

5 attachments
1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!