Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

How do you clean/restore your vintage drums

Hi Folks!

This question has probably been asked many times, but it's an interesting and useful topic and I think we can learn a lot by sharing our experiences!

How do you clean/restore your valuable vintage drums?

I've refurbished some snares by soaking rusty hardware parts in WD-40 and cleaning them with hot water and dishwashing liquid, and I've cleaned snares by using Cape Cod polishing cloths.

I've also used the wet-sanding method on a 50's Gretsch round badge which worked out pretty well!

What methods do y'all use to get the best results?

Thanks!

Posted on 8 years ago

A far as clean metal and rust removal ( lugs, tensioning rods, attachment stands etc etc nothing and I say this very heavy handed NOTHING beats EVAPORUST.

Soak in the solution for 2 to 24 hrs ( for heavy heavy rust) rinse dry and you done.

Beside removing the rust evaporust leaves a the metal looking like new.

Wrap can benefit from some wipe on windex and dry. For faded wrap nothing beats NOVUS 3 and 2.

Protect all with Carnauba wax ... repeat CARANAUBA wax no other type of wax.

my .22 cents

Posted on 8 years ago

Agree with microswitch 100%! Turtle Wax Chrome and Rust Remover is also a good product. Carnauba wax is a great last touch. NO STEEL WOOL.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

I started my first ever cleaning last night so I don't know how effective my methods will be, but I've done a lot of research and know how I'm going to go about the project.

This is for a drum with chrome hardware and a wrap. Other finishes might require different materials. Remember to test all liquids/polishes/chemicals on an inconspicuous area to make sure they won't ruin the drum.

First things first, I wear nitrile gloves to keep any of the harsh chemicals off my skin. Regular latex gloves are susceptible to some of the liquids here. I also wear safety goggles if I'm using the really heavy duty stuff. You might not notice it, but there will be liquid and gunk flying around as you scrub. It's better to be safe and have a racoon-looking imprint on your face when you go to dinner... than blind.

Lug Casings: Dawn and water with a soft toothbrush (different toothbrush for lug interior), Q-tips for hard-to-reach spots. I do the interiors first because the crap in there is gonna spread to the exterior and you don't want to have to wash the outside again. Wet aluminum foil rubbed softly on rust spots and tough stains/discoloration. Dry with a microfiber cloth, again use Q-tips for hard-to-reach spots. Allow to air dry anything you may have missed. Apply Flitz polish to the inside and outside of the lug and then Meguiar's carnauba wax.

Interior Lug Pieces: Whink rust remover in a glass bottle/container and tumble washers/screws/springs around every few minutes for 30-45 minutes. I haven't tried longer yet but I might let them sit over night if I have any pieces that won't come clean. Rinse with water, scrub with soft toothbrush and dry. Wrap your springs in 100% wool felt. It will resist moisture and won't break down over time like cotton or other materials. Some people recommend foam but I have no idea how long that stuff will last.

Tension Rod Insert: Gun cleaning parts are useful here. First, spray brake cleaner on the threads of the insert. Run a .22 caliber wire brush through it a few times to get it soaked and to get all the gunk broken up. Use barrel patches and a slotted gun cleaning rod to clean out all the crap left over. Do this until the patches come out clean. Dawn and water to wash the outside of the insert, polish up with Flitz and wax with Meguiar's same as the lug casing.

Tension Rods: Brake cleaner sprayed on threads and wiped down with a cotton cloth. All the grease and dirt should melt off the threads. If you have an attachment for a drill that will fit the head of the rod you can run them through steel wool. That'll clean them out really quickly. Probably wouldn't even need the brake cleaner. After you're done wash with Dawn and water to clean up the shaft and head, if necessary. Don't know how they'd react to a polishing but it's worth a shot if they're really dull. Once you're ready to put the head on the drum you'll need to apply a very small amount of 3-In-One oil on the tension rod's bottom-most threads. You don't need to cover all sides, and make sure to wipe away any excess that pools. Remember: a little goes a long way with this stuff. You don't want any excess lubricant dripping from the threads and coming to rest on your wrap or finish. The tension rod insert and threads of the tension rod itself will get a good coating of lubricant once you start tuning the drum so just know that you don't need to over do it.

Drum Wrap: Dust and wipe down shell to get all dirt and grime off. Use Novus 2 to fill any fine scratches and get rid of abrasions and haziness. Apply it until the finish reaches a standard you're happy with. Follow the instructions on the bottle to determine what results you want to get. After applying Novus 2 apply Novus 1 to clean and polish the wrap. Again, follow the instructions on the bottle. Wax with Meguiar's carnauba wax.

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

Great advise!

What works best on nickel/chrome plated shells?

In my experience those cape cod cloths work fine, but I can't get the shell and hardware as shiny as I'd prefer. especially the nickel plating on that white Ludwig 1938 standard (picture above) is a little hazy..

Posted on 8 years ago

get yourself a vibratory tumbler and walnut shell media (reptile bedding) and reduce your physical cleaning to 20 minutes or less

obviously not for the bigger bits, but you can do all lugs, tension rods, washers and screws

Posted on 8 years ago

From davezedlee

get yourself a vibratory tumbler and walnut shell media (reptile bedding) and reduce your physical cleaning to 20 minutes or lessobviously not for the bigger bits, but you can do all lugs, tension rods, washers and screws

David,

If yr in Toronto/Canada..

Ild be interested in coming by with hardware from a 59wfl Clubdate Kit

I want to start restoring..

I'm in Georgetown,

Kelly.

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

From davezedlee

get yourself a vibratory tumbler and walnut shell media (reptile bedding) and reduce your physical cleaning to 20 minutes or lessobviously not for the bigger bits, but you can do all lugs, tension rods, washers and screws

That sounds pretty cool. What kind of tumbler do you use?

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

From RIMS n SKINS

David,If yr in Toronto/Canada..Ild be interested in coming by with hardware from a 59wfl Clubdate KitI want to start restoring..I'm in Georgetown,Kelly.

check your local Canadian Tire for one of these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-polishing-tumbler-2995513p.html#.VmtLPtIrLCM

they go on sale for $80 from time to time, but a couple of weeks ago it went down to $50

i got the walnut shells from PetSmart (All Living Things Walnut Bedding), about 13Lbs for $20

http://www.petsmart.ca/reptile/substrate-bedding/all-living-things-ground-reptile-bedding-zid36-24571/cat-36-catid-500013?var_id=36-24571&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

i think its better to have your own rig, as these things can be a little loud, and the time it takes to "finish" a particular batch can vary from 1 to 6 hours or longer, depending on your expectations

just be wary of heat buildup, as too much can burn out the motor

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

From TheElectricCompany

That sounds pretty cool. What kind of tumbler do you use?

i use a vibratory one, which is gentler than a rotary rock tumbler, which is used to take down corners on stones

this one seemed to handle 16 Tama Swingstar lugs and all the associated screws and bolts in one go after about an hour to clean, both inside the lugs and even the threads of the inserts

apparently, you can change out to new media and add a squirt of NuFinish and it'll polish, though i haven't tried that yet

so, after doing about 100 drums by hand using the toothbrush and Dawn method, i can get on to other tasks... and may revisit some of my earlier drums, and redo a few

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here