Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Honest oppinion needed please

Hi again, I have been working on these Stewart drums and advice from the MIJ experts was to lacquer the inside of the shells. I have seen pictures of this and was very impressed. My bass drum was kinda beat up so I used some filler to patch it up. I decided to spray the lacquer with a shading additive in the lacquer to help blend the color. It was a brownish color additive. Was it a mistake to use the coloring, should I have used clear laq? Please tell me what you think, I dont want to do it again if it is wrong. Also, if you do like it would you use clear heads so you can see the inside of the drums.

Thank you,

Jeff

1 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago

I just lacquered (using a brush) the inside of a luan snare using four coats of just Clear and it looks the same as yours.

The clear made mine look a much deeper color, but I expected that.

I think your color looks great as is...

Posted on 13 years ago

Ok, thanks for the compliment. Mine looked kinda brown I thought.

Jeff

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

It looks great. It's an aged luan and should have a bit of the brown in it naturally. I really like it. You've improved the look of the inner and added a wonderful hardness to the reso chamber. I did mine several years ago using hardwax oil. GREAT stuff.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Thank you, so would you use some clear heads to show off the nice interiors?

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

Dunno. I choose heads based on sound. It's up to you.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Luan is the same wood that adorns the hollow core doors of millions of ranch homes. It can take a pretty nice finish. that finish makes the inside look a lot nicer for sure. I have a very similar MIJ bass drum shell that I have had for years but never had any heads on it. I am interested to see how it would sound with different interior treatments. JR Frond has mentioned fiberglass resin in the past.

Posted on 13 years ago

Well in My experience Remo coated ambassadors sound very good. I am going to sell this kit on Cl and was thinking more appearance for the general public. But you never know who will answer the add, some dad buying a kit for his sons birthday or an experienced drummer, you know!

I amjust happy to hear I did not do anything stupid!

Jeff

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

An honest opinion is that you are a cabinetmaker, you should know better than to be messing around with luan.

Posted on 13 years ago

From mike17

An honest opinion is that you are a cabinetmaker, you should know better than to be messing around with luan.

Well I am not building a cabinet out of luan simply asking if you like the finish choice.

Jeff

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here