Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Home made Slingerland legs

Hopefully these will keep my bass drum from walking away on me tonight. They better. They did a number on my grinding wheel. I'm taking out the originals and putting them in a safe place I hope I don't forget. I'll report back when I get home from the gig.

1 attachments
1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

Looks like they'll do the job. If not just screw it to the floor. Kidding......nice job on those points!! :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

On my first kit I used a drum stick to replace a mising leg...Lame

Those are WAY fancier!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Are those chrome? (look like it)

Where did you get those? I have always wondered where to find stock chromed rod.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Are those chrome? (look like it)Where did you get those? I have always wondered where to find stock chromed rod.John

Great machining job. Looks like stainless steel. Is it?

SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

First of all, I owe credit to someone else on here for the idea and I can't find the thread on the subject so I can't find the name. He got some stainless 3/8" stainless rod from a local Ace hardware or something. So whoever you are, I thank you for the heads up on finding the rods.

So I just got home from my gig and my bass drum didn't budge. Not even a millimeter. I'm very happy with the results. To FFR428, it may as well have been screwed to the floor. I have to grind down the spurs on my DW HH stand as well as the legs on my Gretsch Catalina birch a couple times a year when the pinpoints get rounded over and the gear starts a walkin'. It's no fun when that starts happening. Obviously I wouldn't do that with the original Slingerland legs.

I actually got the rods at Home Depot. (Technically the rods are called "steel round" and can be ordered through many metal stock companies). The rack I got it from and the tags on the rods said it was zinc coated steel but I think this is stainless as there were some other rods in the pile with a dull finish. Also it isn't as magnetic as the original spurs so it may be a lower grade of stainless yet it's still very very hard steel. I used an air cut-off tool that cuts most steel like butter but this stuff was pretty darn tuff. And as I said in my first post, it left a deep groove in my bench grinder stone. But hey, a stable bass drum is more important then a grinding wheel.

Thanks for the compliments on the fabricating. Here's a pic of the back ends. I rounded them a bit with the grinder wheel and brushed them with the wire wheel so they'd be somewhat similar to the originals. Each one is a bit different but who cares. Nobody is gonna see them except for you guys.

1 attachments
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

Very nicely done!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 11 years ago

A-ha, just found the thread to the guy that led me to a source for the steel rods under "worst yellowing wmp ever" Thanks Clubdate64 for the info. I probably wouldn't have addressed the issue had it not been for the youtube tour of your drum set. Thank you sir.

1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the nod, but you carried it a step further.

Btw, I second the great job on grinding those things down, I know that probably wasn't easy.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 11 years ago

If anyone wants them, I can always make more.

1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here