Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Help with dating Radio King floor tom

Hey to all, any expertise is greatly appreciated with this drum. It has no stamp on the inside, nor a badge on the outside. The hoops are stick choppers with clips with "Slingerland Radio King" on both hoops. The set screws that hold the tom legs are old Rogers, but the tom mounts look to be original or maybe added on? Anybody know what year they started putting on the mounts and doing away with the cradles? Thanks in advance to all who help out. By the way the wrap is interlaced with the plys. I'm guessing early to mid 50's.

[IMG]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2804/radiofloor3kq8.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7237/radiofloorhy4.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1085/radiofloor2zy0.th.jpg[/IMG]

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Have you looked at the resources from DrCJW for dating Slingerland drums?

You can get to them on the main web site and then give us a little more

information about the drum based off of your personal observation of the finish etc...

Click Here

My guess is the 50's

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Call me stupid. Forgot about all the resources, thanks David. The floor tom has 2 1/4" re rings, so that puts it 1928-1955, interlaced wrap and plys definitely before '57. I did notice there is no Slingerland washers on mine, wondering if they were removed, but don't see any dents in the wood. Have to go to work, so more checking later.

Thanks again,

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Your on the right track and the Doc should fill in the holes on this one.

I think the next article should be hardware and that will fill in a lot of blanks.

He has some interesting reads on the way and I look forward to adding them to the web site.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Did you look at the Dr stuff about the color blue sparkle?

Click Here

Looking at the drum, which looks like the closest color?

From my perspective it looks like the 56 color. You probably could make that determination better then us, by looking at the size of the sparkle and matching it up to the article.

Add that to the post for DrCJW

David

Posted on 17 years ago

David,

Thanks for your support. After closer inspection, I am leaning more towards the 1951 version. Just for the reason that I see little darker spots all over the finish which is more similar to the 1951, than the later versions. The lugs are I think what they call bowtie? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting the drum is around the early 50's minimum.

Gary

Posted on 17 years ago

The drum has to be pre 1955 because these are the beavertail or the cigar lugs . These lugs were replaced in 1955 so it has to be before than. So 1951 sounds right.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

A '51 would have the beavertail lugs...those are the earlier streamline lugs. Seems strange to me a drum that early would have a blue sparkle wrap. Anxiously awaiting the DR's evaluation...

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

David,After closer inspection, I am leaning more towards the 1951 version. Just for the reason that I see little darker spots all over the finish which is more similar to the 1951, than the later versions. Gary

The wrap might have spots just because of its age.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

It's the original wrap, you can see in the pictures on my first post, the ply and the wrap are overlapping. The only thing that is different on this floor tom is the lugs that hold the legs. One of them is slightly askew and very close to one of the streamline lugs. As far as the wrap goes Harrison, the spots may be because of age, but if you look closely on the page with the wraps, on the earliest, you can see black spots. Exactly like the ones on my drum. Maybe the good Dr. will see this post and have some insight.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here