Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Help Slingy Bass Drum rehab

Guys, did I bite off more than I can chew? This set was 1 step away from the trash man....IF I can get the mold and mildew out of the wood on the inside of the shell, what should I do with the inner wood? Clean, coat, paint? I don't want to mess with the sound in any way.

Thanks ahead of time for your advice. dean

Ps: First time posting pics--do they look OK (well the quality of the pics, not the drums)....?

Posted on 11 years ago

Dean, wow did these come from the deep sea ? :) remove all the hardware, Interior is what I'm describing 1st. do you have an orbital sander? if so remove all the mold down to bare clean wood, your kit has the beige painted interior, here this link will tell you about that http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/painting_shell_interiors.html. it looks like the bearing edges have a good bit of ply separation it is an easy fix just a little time consuming, If you have basic woodworking skills it will be an easy fix. I'll wait for your response ok?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Thank you for the reply. The former owner tells me this set was gigged hard and retired (I figured to a damp basement-where they were when I purchased them). I prefer to look at things for what they can be, versus what they are....maybe a little too zealous on this one...This will be my 1st major rehab. I cannot help thinking these will be beauties when finished.

Always willing to learn and always had a liking for working with wood, but I have no real wood skills or an orbital sander. Having the rehab under way, I have arrangements with a retired cabinet maker to professionally spray the exteriors. The 12 inch tom will be the guiney pig. From other posts on this forum, 3 coats of poly with sanding in between seems to be the recommendations....

I'm almost finished with the BR snare. I was able to clean up nicely the COB shell, but the hoops had to go--too pitted. I have better hoops reserved from another forum member once I get the dough from other parts I'm presently selling.

I'm offering the badly pitted stuff for free to forum members who will pay the postage.

The pitted chrome has been my biggest nemisis. Here's more pics. More advice, throw it at me!

BTW, this set has the BR 10 lug snare, 24 in bass X 2, 12,13,16 and 18 toms

Posted on 11 years ago

More pictures: 12 inch tom and interior.

Posted on 11 years ago

I say go for it! Nothing to lose but sweat and time. Once I purchased an old 60's Slingerland bass drum which was sitting in about six inches of flooded basement water. After all was said and done, and ignoring the blemishes visible only on the interior shell wall, the drum sounded great and looked good too! It made me wonder if I shouldn't drown all of my bass drums! :o

Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome to the forum Dean.

Will take some work but those can be saved. Search for threads on "rock tumblers" and "cleaning hardware". Slingy chrome is pretty good. The lugs and mounting hardware will clean up well. I wouldn't waste time on the screws/washers. Those can be replaced.

If you want I can run the lot through my tumbler.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome to the forum. That is a pretty cool configuration. It is a shame what happened to them, but that is a lot of what this forum is about. Be careful with whatever you use to get rid of the mold. If you sand it you will have mold in the airborne sawdust and it will be easy to sand through the interior ply. If you use chemicals, well, they are chemicals. Regardless, you should be able to bring these back.

Try soaking the hardware for a day or so in Dawn detergent. That is an easy way to start to see what it will do for you. Don't use steel wool on chrome. It's tempting, but not a good idea. As mentioned, the guys that use tumblers say that they are great and there is no real effort involved.

Good luck.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

From Creighton

Welcome to the forum Dean.Will take some work but those can be saved. Search for threads on "rock tumblers" and "cleaning hardware". Slingy chrome is pretty good. The lugs and mounting hardware will clean up well. I wouldn't waste time on the screws/washers. Those can be replaced.If you want I can run the lot through my tumbler.Creighton

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I have indeed read, with interest, the info about the rock tumblers. A purchase is on my hit list when $$ allows. Wow-I DO NOT take lightly your offer to run my rust through your tumbler. I really appreciate it-but I will pass simply because I'm determined to do the best rehab I can manage on this rust bucket and rotted wood---if I have to wire brush every single tension rod washer by hand...fact is, I joined the forum for this very thing..... good advice from guys who love drums without strings attached. Dean

Posted on 11 years ago

From tnsquint

Welcome to the forum. That is a pretty cool configuration. It is a shame what happened to them, but that is a lot of what this forum is about. Be careful with whatever you use to get rid of the mold. If you sand it you will have mold in the airborne sawdust and it will be easy to sand through the interior ply. If you use chemicals, well, they are chemicals. Regardless, you should be able to bring these back. Try soaking the hardware for a day or so in Dawn detergent. That is an easy way to start to see what it will do for you. Don't use steel wool on chrome. It's tempting, but not a good idea. As mentioned, the guys that use tumblers say that they are great and there is no real effort involved. Good luck.

Yes, going with a tumbler when I can. CLR leaves the badly rusted stuff with an ugly black residue. Dawn is on my to do list. I have plenty of rust to go as I have not yet begun work on the bass drum chrome. I'm lookig forward to advice from another forum member who said he might coach me on the work to the interiors. I have not gone there yet either, so I will be careful in attempting any sanding. This process is slow--a day job does that--but I will be back with pic of the progress. Thanks tnsquint!

Posted on 11 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Dean, wow did these come from the deep sea ? :) remove all the hardware, Interior is what I'm describing 1st. do you have an orbital sander? if so remove all the mold down to bare clean wood, your kit has the beige painted interior, here this link will tell you about that http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/painting_shell_interiors.html. it looks like the bearing edges have a good bit of ply separation it is an easy fix just a little time consuming, If you have basic woodworking skills it will be an easy fix. I'll wait for your response ok?

Before you get back to me on the interior shell advice, I'm burned out cleaning and wire brushing the lug screw and washers that hold the lugs onto the shell...can these parts be bought at the hardware store or were they unique to Slingerland? Nearly every piece on this Slingy beast has some rust...dean

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here