Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

help indentify these drums

Never seen these lugs before. Is the snare a sling, or just the strainer?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

From my limited knowledge of Slingys, I's say those snare lugs look like Slingerlands. Not sure about the rest of the kit though - the hardware looks a bit stencil. Could it be a re-wrap?

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

NEVER seen these lugs before.Pseudo-Ludwig with no stripes!And Kent -style T-rods.I'm guessing MIJ,but as far as brand-no clue!There is a story about Ludwig style lugs on mid-60's MIJ,but I've only seen a snare,and it had the lines/stripes in the lug.That particular BDP looks like a Dixie tom I bought in the early 70's-silvery grey BDP.How about an interior shot of the bass?And the tom mount.Snare is NOT Slingerland.

Posted on 14 years ago

Snare is definitely not a Slingerland. Looks like someone put the strainer on a bit crooked. The lugs are very similar to a MIJ snare I have. The hoops look like Stick saver copies. Definitely looks super nice which makes me think it could be a re-wrap.

What a cool kit. Half Sling copy half Ludwig Copy.

What do the insides of the shells look like? I am sure the MIJ experts will be along shortly to shed some light on this!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, we just keep unearthing mysteries! I as well have never seen those.Truth is if you look very closely at them, they really look like an exact copy of the Luds, with the stripes filled in. The base of the lug looks just as it should have. This is one of the elusive copies that were thrown out before they could be given a chance to make a ton of them. Ludwig and Gretsch were very aggressive with copyright infringement suits. Bud was the only one that let it continue because of the cost involved in legal action.

By the way, let's see the interiors of the shells, the tom mount as well and what are the sizes? I see the split on the wrap at the bottom of the floor tom, so it more than likely is an original wrap. Grey Diamond Pearl would be correct color.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/images/Star/1967-12.jpg

That is a very nice wrap color, does it seem to be original?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Your set is a late 60 M.I.J. set made by Pearl..If no badge's are on the set then the badges would be "sticker" ones and could be about one of 40 names pearl used on their exported set's to the U.S...Yes lugs are copys of ludwig i have seem both type's that pearl made one's like your's and the other would have the three lines just like Ludwig's..Ludwig went after pearl in the late 60's on/for copy -rights to stop them for making a copy lug along of other look a-like parts..If you look at the floor tom lug mounts copy's of Ludwig "club-date" type also..Your shells on the set should be 3 ply with rings..Snare is not Slingerland if you would remove one of the lug's is should be stamp Pearl--Pearl made these lugs also...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

[Attachment: 15382]

[Attachment: 15383]Hi every body! This is my first post, i've been lurkin on this site for quite a while and,i just would like to say a BIG THANKS to all the members and expert on this very forum for sharing your passion and knowledge (and pics also, he!he!) about one of the most recreative and beautiful thing in our world... DRUMS. You guys are very helpfull. Now johnnyz,if you look closely on the top of the t-rod claws you'll see the brand name stamp on it, your drum is a Fuji, yes THE Fuji . I dont know were it's comming from thougt, but if it's like the one i have, it has the very thin shell,3 ply who looks to be beech,maple,beech with the maple reinforcement ring...strange isn't it ? The snare is 5.5 deep ,it has snare beds ,and it came with double strainers .B.T.W i am really stunt to see another kit like mine ,and your's look so clean wow! Here a few pics.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks guys for all your input. I was away for a couple days. These drums were on craigs list for 200 obo. You all confirmed my suspicions. I had not seen those lugs before, but the snare lugs looked mij. Could be a rewrap. Thanks again

Posted on 14 years ago

Man, if those are 3 ply shells, and the floor tom is a 14", you might want to check into them. 100-125 would not be out of the question for those. 200 is high, but 125 ain't bad, and if 3 ply and good heads, you may very well want to grab them. Those 3 ply shells are sleeprs, and if there is hardware and/or cymbals, dude it could be a deal if you got the goods on them.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

This might help you. Like i've said, if it's like the one i have they are 3 ply thin shells, i know it sounds weird but the inner and outer ply really does look like beech wood , the reinforcement rings and the inner ply look like maple but softer... it's a bit confusing... not Canadien maple for shure. Anyways these shells are RARE The thing you must know about this kit if you plan to buy it, is the fact that the lugs are very fragiles(on the toms and the b.d.), and if you tighten the heads a little too hight, some of them might gonna crack,and they are hard to find. Another thing! If there are little tiny nails all around the edges on the outside to hold the wrap, then it could be the original wrap.(the one on my kit is original and it's not the same at all , wich i for forgot to mention in my first post)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here