Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Hello What year is this 9 piece tama imperialstar drumset? And is it worth it?

Hello guys, I have a ad because I want to trade my rc nitro helicopter for

a drumset either electric drumset or acustic. But what year do you guys think this is? And do they sound good without bottom? I'm going to try it out before I trade him. The serial number on the pic 83-12089. My rc helicopter worth around 800-1000 dollars. Is this worth of getting? Do you guys think its a 1980's drumset? Does it have more value then my helicopter?

Posted on 13 years ago

One moooooore.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Bass drum looks like it`s missing a claw and a leg on the left side, looking at it from the front !! The wrap appears in rough shape and it`s a MIJ !! There are more qualified drum doctors here than I but I wouldn`t land that set for something worth $800 !! Not even half that !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

From OddBall

Bass drum looks like it`s missing a claw and a leg on the left side, looking at it from the front !! The wrap appears in rough shape and it`s a MIJ !! There are more qualified drum doctors here than I but I wouldn`t land that set for something worth $800 !! Not even half that !!

I did notice about the leg but not the claw. What is MIJ?

Posted on 13 years ago

Made In Japan !!.....

Posted on 13 years ago

From OddBall

Made In Japan !!.....

Sorry didn't know. Made in japan, is that a good thing or bad?

Japan have some good killer stuff that is made out there but

not sure if japan in those time made good drums.

Posted on 13 years ago

They made good Battleships and the foods pretty good,...seriously,..there are far more knowlageable members than I about Tama drum sets. Keep checking in and welcome aboard !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Those are the original Tama Imperialstars. Made in 1983. The hardware is some of the best made. The drums were good enough for Stewart Copeland.

I am afraid I can't give a value as I have a bigger set of these in Midnight Blue and am probably biased.

The missing parts can be found easily. These drums are from an era where Japanese drums were kicking American drums down the street.

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 13 years ago

When I've got questions about what something's worth, I often look at completed auctions on eBay.

HERE is a listing for a 1983 Tama Imperialstar 7-piece set with concert toms, very similar to the pics you posted, but with two fewer toms and no cymbals. It sold for about $250, plus $150 for shipping.

There are a few things working against the seller. First of all, they're concert toms, meaning the toms don't have a resonant (bottom) head. These were somewhat popular in the '70s and early '80s, but haven't had much of a following since. They can sound fine, particularly for rock music, but the lack of a resonant head limits your tuning possibilities. Concert toms also tend to get damaged along the bottom edge or go out of round. Secondly, the kit includes a few cymbals, but they're B8's, which have virtually no resale value on the used market. (Especially a crash that's been inverted?!)

As for being Japanese... In the '60s and '70s, quite a few cheap "stencil" kits of dubious quality were made in Japan by Pearl and Star, which became Tama. (Yamaha's early kits were pretty decent, though.) Since then, those companies have changed their approach and really make some quality gear. "MIJ" drums really don't (or at least shouldn't) carry a stigma unless we're talking about the cheap stencil kits.

Posted on 13 years ago

That is a $300 drum set-cheapo hi-hat and snare stand,scratched-up drum surfaces,concert toms.BUT-a fun set to play if you can get it with some cash for hardware upgrades and new heads.The drums themselves are good.Maybe the drums and $400?And...did your helicopter COST $1000 or is it WORTH $1000?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here