Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Hello, I´m new to this site

[FONT="Arial"]Hello to all of you,

couldn´t find the introducions forum after searching for hours, so I thought I´d post here.

My name is Jürgen, I´m living in the Southwest of Germany, playin´drums for over 25 years now. And I want to apologize for my (maybe) strange English:).

The reason why I became a member of this community is:

Since last summer I´m the proud owner of (so I found out in this forum this week) a Star Bollero Drumset in "Fantasia" finish.

You might not believe this, but I pulled it out of a trash container (!) by climbing in and trying to save all the parts of the drum set that I could get.

Found the BassDrum, the Floortom, the 12" Tom, the SnareDrum and some parts of a hardware set. The 13" Tom unfortunately was taken away by somebody else already, all I have is one hoop and the resonance batter with the "Bollero" sign on it. Both the other TomToms had no lower batters mounted, but I was lucky to find both hoops and the original batter of the 12".

In this condition I stored it packed away carefully in a big box and almost forgot about it.

Last week we had a gig in a very small club with not enough space for my usual setup (six- or seven-piece set sometimes), so I remembered the Bollero and took it on stage for the first time- I even didn´t check it out before. Just changed both batters of the BassDrum (they were totally destroyed) in the afternoon before headin´off to the gig and had to play without the resonance batters on the two TomToms - just had no time to get it fixed.

The Snare is also pretty f***ed up, so I took my 70´s Ludwig 5" snare.

After we had finished playing my guitarist said, "Damn´, what a GREAT set! The BassDrum is killer!! The other drumsets you´ve been playing all the time really are ,high-tech-rubbish´ in comparison with this one! THIS is Rock´n´Roll!"

And I must say, I agreed and decided to further play the Bollero with this band. It´s a trio that plays Blues-Rock of the 60´s and 70´s, and the "Fantasia"-Finish matches our music perfectly!

This was the moment when I began the restauration of the DrumSet. First I had to repair the bearing edges of the lower side of the TomToms that had been (ab)used as RockToms with all the traces of the years.

Next step is the SnareDrum, it´s straining mechanism is almost damaged. Hope that I get it fixed - and if I fail, to get a similar part for it.

On the picture below you can see the set on stage last week, I´ll post more pics of the finished Setup when all the work is done - hopefully soon.

By the way, does anybody know if Star provided a 14" Floortom for this Kit?

So keep on rockin´!

Greets Jürgen[/FONT]

1 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow , that's really pretty....

A great save from the trash bin, and a great story

Welcome to the Forum, and keep posting !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I to just acquired a Bollero kit in trade for a cymbal.It sounds incredible,22,13,16 in a blue swirl finish.I hope to see more of these pop up soon as the MIJ phenom continues....welcome!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

The band name on the front is a riot.

Keep rockn'!

Posted on 14 years ago

From vexorgtr

Hi!

Sorry, but I don´t know the meaning of the word "riot".

Could you please explain?

Thanks!

Regards Jürgen

Posted on 14 years ago

From vexorgtr

The band name on the front is a riot. Keep rockn'!

/\ /\ /\ +1

Gretsch Catalina Maples - 22,8,10,12,16 DCB
70's Silvertone - 20,12,14, 14Sn Blue Sparkle
60's No Name MIJ - 20,12,14 Red Sparkle
70's Yamaha (YD?) - 20,12,13,16 Red Ripple
Posted on 14 years ago

From vexorgtr

OK OK ...

I´ve been searching, and it seems as if you mean that you don´t like the band name? Correct me, if I´m wrong.

BUT: Our bassist is American, and this name was his idea!

When he made his suggestion at that time we were looking for a name, I DID NOT agree with this - but he said, it might be cool anyway. After he´s been searching the www to check out if somebody has rights on this name and found out that it is not so, I had to accept my fate...Hmmmm

So I´m awfully sorry if anyone is disgusted with this name - it was not my fault!:)

Regards Jürgen

Posted on 14 years ago

Lissy

Riot, when used like Vexorgtr used it, is short for "Laugh Riot" or very funny..

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Ah, ok, I see...

Yes, lots of people who come to our shows also say it´s funny...

Thanks for helping me!Cool1

Regards Jürgen

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome to the Forum! You will find alot of very knowledgeable people here that share the same interest - DRUMS. Enjoy, browse and keep the photos coming.

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here