Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Hardware & a hoop for 1958 Gretsch tom

I need some lugs, t-rods with clips and a hoop for this drum.

It's a 1953 Gretsch 16" tom with (did have a one time) a tacked on reso head.

I'm also looking for tacks. The tacks are the two pronged flat-headed oval ones.

I think the lugs I'm looking for might be similar or the same as the ones that are on my 1947 Gretsch drum that I recently tacked a reso head onto - pictured here. I'm not sure though - I'll have to see if the shell screw holes line up.

The hardware I bought & you can see in the photo does not fit. The lugs are too deep (wide). So I now have lots of extra lugs haha & a new 16" die-cast 8 hole hoop that I can't use......at least on this drum.

Posted on 13 years ago

Gary,

Gretsch did away with Rocket lugs by 1950.

So,you need the same lug they offer today.

BTW....I just found I have the 1940's muffler you need for your drum you were asking about,and I have the clips......

I'll PM you.........

Blair

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Blair

I PM'ed you but your mailbox is full. I did send you an email as well.

I have 16 of the lugs I used on my 58 floor tom. These lugs are too wide (deep). As you can see in the photo here when I have the counterhoop in place they lay to far away from the shell - the t-rods won't line up.

From blairndrums

Gary,Gretsch did away with Rocket lugs by 1950.So,you need the same lug they offer today.BTW....I just found I have the 1940's muffler you need for your drum you were asking about,and I have the clips......I'll PM you.........Blair

Posted on 13 years ago

UPDATE: I just tried the smaller lugs (my 58 Gretsch floor tom lugs) and they DON'T fit. I'm adding a couple of photos here to show the lug imprint on the shell & the center to center measurement for the screwholes on the shell - I need lugs that fit this. The holes in the shell are 1 5/8" cntr to cntr.

NO WONDER THESE *&#@!!? LUGS WON'T FIT - they're bass drum lugs!!

The person I bought the drum from asked if I wanted lugs for the floor tom. I said yes and bought 16 of them...............they're all Gretsch Bass Drum lugs!

They look small and similar to the floor & rack tom lugs but they're 2.5" long next to the shell and deeper - the floor tom lugs are 2 inches next to the drum shell. I just don't handle them enough to notice right away.

I did try my 47 lugs and the screw holes don't line up - the 47 lug screw holes are wider apart. So yes - I would like to buy your lugs.

Anyone here need 16 Gretsch bass drum lugs (there were no tension rods included with the lugs).

Posted on 13 years ago

oops ..........typo in spelling

Posted on 13 years ago

PS.....did grestch offer a tacked bottom in 1953? Seems late for that........

Maybe the date stamp reads 1943,and you read it as 53?

Is there a date stamp inside the Rocket lug tacked bottom tom? Thats 1940's

Posted on 13 years ago

I was tired yesterday haha re that typo.

Maybe the date stamp is wrong - maybe someone put it in there later? Here's what's in there - Jan 29 1953.

I don't know if Gretsch made drums with tacked on heads in 1953 but it looks like there was some around in 1950.....see page from 1950 catalog below..

"Broadkaster Single Tension Outfit" top of the page.

The drum is nice even when it was at Ray Ayotte's when he held it up to our ears and tapped it he said it's got very nice tone in the wood.

I just want to get what ever it needs to put it together properly. I was a little put off when I fit the hoop on the drum & it didn't line up with the lugs and I didn't know if I had the wrong lugs - or the wrong hoop - or both.

But at least now I know I have the proper lugs.......hoop's next.

The die-cast hoops I bought on eBay were not Vintage hoops. They were about 1/2 the price of a real "Gretsch Vintage" hoop. Maybe that's the problem - maybe the diameter is not as wide as a metal hoop of the day and that's why the hoop I have does not line up with these large lugs????

Maybe I should try my 16 Renown hoop to see if it's bigger??

From blairndrums

PS.....did grestch offer a tacked bottom in 1953? Seems late for that........Maybe the date stamp reads 1943,and you read it as 53?Is there a date stamp inside the Rocket lug tacked bottom tom? Thats 1940's

Posted on 13 years ago

OK.....factory date stamp..........

BTW....I have NEVER seen a date stamp past 1953,and I have seen MANY,many vintage G. drums.

I have heard people say they have seen 1954,but I haven't!

I think you got one of the newer G. Taiwanese hoop.........hence the cheap price...........

I'll dig thru the stash,see if I have a vintage one.

Posted on 13 years ago

Learn something new everyday.......a tacked on bottom head in the 1950's.........

Must of been some of the very last ones ever offered!~

It was actually PIGskin they used on the bottom.......NOT calf!

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Blair

Ya - knew about the pigskin - but I've been using calfhide. I've tacked two drums so far and it's worked out nicely..........the drums came with tacks & hardware haha.......I just have to be patient.......I'll eventually get this drum playable..

From blairndrums

Must of been some of the very last ones ever offered!~It was actually PIGskin they used on the bottom.......NOT calf!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here