I found the problem.........I bought 16 lugs from the person that sold me this drum. He thought they were all the same I guess - they look pretty much alike. There are two different models of Broadkaster (I think they're Broadkaster) lugs here. One set of 8 is a model 0-2 (the correct ones for my drum) & 8 are model 9120-2 (these are too deep for the drum).

They look so much alike I did not notice until I took the lug nuts & springs out to clean them & saw there were two different numbers inside the castings. When I looked closely I could see they were slightly different in depth.

I must have had the lugs all mixed together when I tried to put head on the first time - that's why it did not fit. I put all 8 smaller lugs on and the head went on with no trouble.

I need to find some tacks and I'll be able to tack the reso head. I have a nice American White calfhide for the batter too which I will be tucking to a nice custom fit wood flesh hoop.

I haven't even dusted this drum off. It does have a few chips in the finish here and there but it is a nice looking drum. For now I have a 70-ish look going on here.