Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Guy Asking $975 For Tempro Set: Is He On Drugs?

From Vater

The ad says the finish is ruby red strata. Here's a better shot, it really is a nice finish.

Yes, it does look like Purple Grain Pearl. The Tempro line was built by Pearl, so can be considered a Pearl drum kit. The lugs are of the better "battleship" style and are great lugs.

Is the sale only for the 3 drums, or is a snare drum included? The addition of any extra cymbals, or non-original hardware, should not be a factor in the price.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here, with the following thought; the kit appears to be in exceptional condition. If it has a matching snare drum, I can easily see the right person paying upwards of $600 for this Tempro kit.

After some research, this Tempro kit appears to be based on Pearl's No. 52 Jet Outfit, pictured in the 1968 Catalog. The Jet Outfit used Slingerland-style lugs and an 8-lug snare drum. The lugs chosen for the Tempro brand were the better Battleship lugs. This is all just my opinion, but knowing how all these stencil kits could be customized, seems very plausible to me. The bottom line is that I do consider the offered Tempro kit to be somewhat rare and commanding a slightly higher price. It really comes down to the individual and how much they want the kit.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I see that the BUY IT NOW price has been reduced to $475. The kicker is that it's being offered under a "pick-up only" scenario. That certainly could change things.

Posted on 7 years ago

That's a fair price I think, or at least a good starting point for determining a reasonable offer. And I can completely understand not wanting to go through the hassle of shipping. It'll reduce the number of offers, but I'd be much more willing to pay $475 for that if I was local than $575 to have it shipped. For that money I could invest in a decent US-made players kit.

Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
1987 Pearl KC-3500 - jet black (22/16/13/12)
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 7 years ago

This is getting more and more tempting. He's dropped the price $500 in a matter of days. I'm hesitating to spend anymore cash right now on drums, having just bought three vintage sets in the last two months, but that price is right in the ballpark. I have a few guitars for sale and money in my Paypal account. And, I could pick them up. Philly is not that far away. I need to make a decision!

Posted on 7 years ago

Well...my vote is to go get them! I think the seller is finding that the market for his kit is a bit thin by only selling locally. Seems like he also wants them gone. Make him a fair offer and that you'll pick them up. As previously posted, the kit is in great condition, with a rare finish, jazz-size toms and a matching snare drum. If they were close to me, I'm sure I'd be picking them up!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

someone got them

Hope it was you DrumBob

I offered 300.00 plus his shipping

this was while his price was still 975.00 plus shipping

he countered at 400.00 for everything which was good

But he also decided on the pick up only thing which of course was impossable for me

I did not have the energy or the overwhelming desire to try and go any further

That aside congrats to the buyer those are cool drums

Posted on 7 years ago

Sure hope it was DrumBob! Let us know!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

From DrumBob

This is getting more and more tempting. He's dropped the price $500 in a matter of days. I'm hesitating to spend anymore cash right now on drums, having just bought three vintage sets in the last two months, but that price is right in the ballpark. I have a few guitars for sale and money in my Paypal account. And, I could pick them up. Philly is not that far away. I need to make a decision!

So now it went from $300 per drum to $150 per drum.

I don`t see $150 per drum there.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

They're mine. I contacted the guy last night and paid less than his final asking price. The set is absolutely immaculate. He sent me more detailed photos this morning. The heads are almost all original and the drums are virtually NOS unplayed. The seller bought them from a friend down on his luck who needed the money. They had been sitting in a closet for decades. I got all the hardware, pedals and Zildjian hats. I'm picking them up next week.

Contrary to what I originally said, the seller is definitely not on drugs and is a really nice guy. We had a long conversation this morning. It's all good. I'm satisfied with the deal we made and am looking forward to gigging this kit soon.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here