Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Gretsch Player Project

Well it looks like this will be my next project. Date stamped 1946 Gretsch Superstructure shelled kit. 13,16,24 and matching snare. A lot of stuff is missing and some extra holes in the bass drum shell along with leg bracket mods to the floor tom. Just thinking of making a players kit out of it by adding some modern components ie: hoops, claws, etc. as I think it may be to costly to try and restore, trying to find original parts. Thus I would change hoops, clips, claws, etc. and sell off the original items. The snare drum is pretty much complete and sounds fantastic.

Question is if I try to restore is it worth the effort and expense since I think this type of kit was fairly common. I think though with little effort and expense it would be a great players grade vintage kit.

What are some of your guys thoughts.

Thanks

4 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Touch-up the hoops on the bass drum, Novus the shells, replace missing parts and then play the hell out of them.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Beautiful kit! If it were my find I would just get it to playing shape on the cheap, taking care to not have to drill any extra holes, and play it till the neighbors called the cops.

Take my advice with several grains of salt though, I am not a Gretsch guy and I'm not really a collector. Players kits like this one are my favorite thing though. I like vintage drums and I'm a tightwad so player's kits meet both those requirements for me.

Jazz snob in training

No relation the other KL from PA
Posted on 9 years ago

Like the fellas said...I would find a hoop for the bass drum and toms and play the $hit out of them! Very nice score.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

Those are amazing ! Yes clean em up replace the missing hoop and enjoy with out adding any more extra holes than are already there . I dig the color .

Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Posted on 9 years ago

Yes sir, those are sweet! Love the wrap.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Those are really nice. Like others said get the missing parts and enjoy them. If you really like them find and collect the original missing parts as you can. I don't see a lot of those around. Well worth the time and effort!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I concur. Just put some hoops on them and play them. Your not missing that much. I have the missing parts laying around here to get a kit like that up and running. Just get a 13" and 16" rim and tension rods for toms, another hoop for the bass and some trods to get you by. Clean those shells up and polish the chrome. You can probably get the missing parts from a cheap CL kit to get you by. They will look and sound great. Nice score ! I definitely would not drill any more holes. in fact measure those trods from collar to end. I may have some. I would have that kit disassembled, cleaned and back together and playable in three days. Also you could possibly use the 2 cymbal mounts on the bass drum for two of your floor tom leg brackets, and find one more. But I wouldn't worry about it. Those brackets on the floor don't look bad.

Posted on 9 years ago

Well I have rounded up most of the parts to get this thing up and running. Not the original stuff but will make it playable.

Thanks for all your suggestions, they were all appreciated.

Posted on 9 years ago

Nopork,

If that set was yellowed WMP, I'd make you a ridiculous offer for it just out of sentimentality...

My very first set was a used, 4-pc WMP Gretsch date stamped 1946 inside. I paid $100 dollars for it (with all the Zildjians!) in 1970. It varied slightly from your set though in the bass drum mounts. My set had the standard rail conselette while yours appears to have two L-arm receivers. How does your tom mount?

And enjoy that snare! I remember that snare sounding great no matter how poorly I tuned it.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here