Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Gretsch guys: Dean takes on rehab #2, a 70s era (?) Gretsch beater—HELP!

Well guys, I’m back for more torture (LOL). Doesn’t look as bad as my infamous “Massive Slingy Rehab,” but it is my first time taking on a Gretsch set. I have been away from all things drums in recent months dealing with a family illness. With Dad well on the road to a healthy recovery, I can breathe a little now and turn my focus to a back log of drum projects.

Have a good look at my pics, help me make an assessment of the work and as always, I welcome all comments, good or bad and any insight you can share.

Other than removing the ghastly heads for the photo essay, I have done nothing yet. What you see is what I’m working with. There are no other items left out from the photo essay. From a quick look on the internet, I’m already not liking the costs of the missing bass drum rail consolette tom-mount……if I’m indeed seeing the correct part. I'll start with snare pics and send more in subsequent posts.

Hold nothing back-lay it on me! Dean

Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago

Last of Gretsch pics. If you guys need more pics of specifics, just ask and I will shoot more tonight. Dean

Posted on 7 years ago

Duh, forgot to list sizes-Drum sizes are 14 inch snare, 13 inch tom, 16 inch FT and 20 inch bass.Chewie:

Posted on 7 years ago

I know what you mean.

I saw some prices for used Gretsch Consolette Rails.

First.

What is the spacing between the 2 sets of holes on the bass drum.

Both ways, length and width?

Make sure of the spacing to ID a replacement part.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

GGD, I will take those measurements later today and reply. Thanks for your interest. D.

Posted on 7 years ago

GGD, the measurements are from hole centers:

5 1/2 between longest points; 2 1/2 between shortest points, 6 inches on the diagonal. Bass drum is 14X20. Thanks for your time. Serial is 20158 More bass drum pics:

Posted on 7 years ago

Dean

First, glad to hear your dad is on the road to recovery!

A very nice stop sign era kit. Doesn't look like it meets too much work on the hardware or wrap. A bit of Novus will shine the wrap up nicely. Not sure if you plan on repainting the hoops? If so it should be a fairly straight forward process. From the few pics, the bearing edges look pretty good. There are a few sellers on the bay that should have your consolette parts. I will look through the my drum room as I have a few drum shops that specialize in parts like Daves in Ottawa that you may want to reach out to.

The snare..... Hope you have a nice buffing wheel. The snare looks like it will require a bit more attention as it seems like a bit of light pitting and slight scratches on the shell.

Looking forward to pics of the finished product as I am a huge Gretsch fan!

Good luck

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago