Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Green Vistalite - What have I gotten myself into...

Oh boy, I have always wanted a green vista but I am in deep on this one! I have disassembled all the drums, cleaned the old goop that was used to attempt to fix them, dressed the cracks, and welded them back together with Weld-On. I was actually surprised at how well the Weld-On worked since it just looked like water to me. I felt like I was just going "lah lah lah lah lah" smooshing water all over my drums and saying "THERE WE GO!"

Anyhow, it's coming right along pretty darn well. I'm currently in the process of resurfacing the shells. They are in terrible shape. Marrs, scratches, and gouges. I have been experimenting with NOVUS but am not really having much luck with even the smallest abrasions. I think I'll get a small mouse palm sander with a microfiber pad and try that? I have also considered just wet sanding the whole thing with like 2200-2500 then going with the NOVUS? Anyone wet sanded before? Attached some pics of the shells and repairs.

-Beau

1969 Ludwig Big Beat Mod Orange 12/13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Green Vistalite 12/13/16/22 & 5 1/2x14
1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Universal Concert Snare 6.5x14
2013 C&C Aged WMP 13/16/22

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Careful when sanding!

I recall hearing there was some carcinogen in the material!crying2-07

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

Very nice work. They will be well worth the effort when done. Walking

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Here's by far the worst...and unfortunately its the bass drum...

Again, it's all actually coming along awesome. I just put a little pressure on the crack to see if I could feel it give or bend (or crack!) and it was nice and tight! Put a second "coat", if you will, of Weld-On on the crack. I'm really excited about this kit! I have sort of become the "from the grave to the stage" drum guy. 4th kit that has needed repair and will never be that museum piece, but man I have had a blast restoring!

-Beau

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/beaubruns/photo-1.jpg[/IMG]

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 11 years ago
Posted on 11 years ago

Those are truly beautiful... that is going to be a very special kit for you. We are all lucky to have you sharing this great project with us.

Here's a bunch of options to consider...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/windshieldrestoration.html

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 11 years ago

Did you use Novice 1 and 2?

Posted on 11 years ago

Mother's Powerball... it's made to restore headlight covers on autos. Try this:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/mothers-07250/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CN_nvuKcmbQCFUOK4Aod4DYAtg

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

From CIBDrummer

Oh boy, I have always wanted a green vista but I am in deep on this one! I have disassembled all the drums, cleaned the old goop that was used to attempt to fix them, dressed the cracks, and welded them back together with Weld-On. I was actually surprised at how well the Weld-On worked since it just looked like water to me. I felt like I was just going "lah lah lah lah lah" smooshing water all over my drums and saying "THERE WE GO!"Anyhow, it's coming right along pretty darn well. I'm currently in the process of resurfacing the shells. They are in terrible shape. Marrs, scratches, and gouges. I have been experimenting with NOVUS but am not really having much luck with even the smallest abrasions. I think I'll get a small mouse palm sander with a microfiber pad and try that? I have also considered just wet sanding the whole thing with like 2200-2500 then going with the NOVUS? Anyone wet sanded before? Attached some pics of the shells and repairs. -Beau

Beau,Nice job so far on the crack's re-pair..As for your question about wet sanding the whole shell.s.I have done this in the pass but it's alot of work..First don't used a palm sander.If you wet sand the drum's do it all by hand.When it come's to the paper to used this is what i have done first sanding 2,000 then 2,400 then 3,000 sand paper..Then i used 3 type's of ***elry polish fine,very fine,and very.very fine i don't have the names of these off hand i can get them for you.They are out in my shop right now..Then the last step is to used the novus on the drums..Like i said it's will take alot of time about a week or do on each drum.But when it's done the drum's will look 1,000's of time's better.....Mikey

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for all the tips everybody! Yeah I went ahead and wet sanded the snare last night by hand. I felt it worked pretty well. My issues so far are with the Novus. Again, I wet sanded, started with Novus #3 and worked it in what I felt was adequate. Moved to #2, after I wiped it off and I thought it looked awesome! Then I cleaned it with Novus #1 and it looked like it did right after I wet sanded it again! All hazy and you could see the scratches. The guy on vistalitedrums.com said he uses a palm sander with a micro cloth rubber banded to it and polishes it with the #3. I was hoping to spend less time on these but hey, what are ya gonna do. We have a HUGE show on NYE with a band called Murder By Death here in Lawrence. I was hoping to have them done by them, but I'm not so sure now.

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here