Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

George Way 1918 snare drum

waydrums.com

FYI

Posted on 7 years ago

Pressroll...I must thank you for your time invested in this important topic !

This article reads like a movie .... seriously this is classic rejection of the status quo , and its big money pressures . This has been played out a million times in America ... Boy meets beautiful girl and follows his dream to be a drummer /drum builder , and runs away to Her city in the frozen north .

I must add a detail that also could have had an effect on his decision to move to Canada, and that is ... the Great war .. 1914-1918 ... he was not in the USA , so no conscription , and He was a foreigner in Canada so no conscription ....I dont know , just a hunch , anyway His move was short lived , and he probably created 20-30 snaredrums

One ... a nickel over brass item ended up with the owner of George Way drums here in Canada ... So We know at least two specimens have survived the 100 years of history .

My question is ... Are there more out there ?

Did george Way make any drums and create The Advance Drum Company in the States , or did He make these drums only in his garage or basement in Edmonton ?What did he do with His stock when He joined up with Leedy?

Lefties rights activist
Posted on 7 years ago

As a guy that doesnt know anything about George Way this is fascinating. If he was building as we know great drums 50's/60's i reckon that he must of been making them yrs before and if he did then they would be worth money. I still say lets see some pics of this snare drum. There is a similar topic coming up with Brady drums but im not going on that one as the story is complex. Lets see how the George Way goes. Lets have a look at the 1918 snare drum.

Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago

Mike, that one looks like an early rendition of a Leedy for sure.

The lugs and shell especially. Thanks for the link.

Yes Hang Johnny love to see the one you are talking about.

Wayne

Posted on 7 years ago

Wow look whats coming out of the woodwork !

With the help of a friend ... I plan to post pictures today .

I have seen Ron Dunnetts nickel over brass version , now this little gem ...

George way must have been very creative , as all three are different !

My version is beautiful in every way , and must have been hidden in an attic for 80+ years .no rust , and the original mahogany finish . I have not done anything to this relic ,so the calf heads are shot of course , and will need replacing .

I want to thank My fellow forum members here for shedding light on this 100 year old mystery .

Lefties rights activist
Posted on 7 years ago

The mystery snare drum revealed

Lefties rights activist
Posted on 7 years ago

Yes ! ...I managed to post pictures of My rare find .

This snare is so original that I imagine that it had to have been stored away ,untouched until someone brought it to this antique store in Vancouver where my wife bought it for Me .

Now that the knowledge of this early drum company has been presented to all forum members , i would like to request that the badge of the Advance Drum Company be added to the known makers badge page .

I would love input from My knowledgeable forum members as to what the process is to make this idea a reality .

Lefties rights activist
Posted on 7 years ago

One thing for sure my friend that is one heck of a fab looking snare drum. They certainly had some great style in those days. Thanks....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Hey check this out !

George Way put the badge on the hoop instead of the shell .

Common back then or another innovation of His ?

Comments ?

Lefties rights activist
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here