Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Gambles Bop kit?

So perusing websites, this picture caught my eye - hey, is that an 18 kick? If so, that's a 14 FT. And the metal snare sitting on top would seem to confirm those sizes. A MIJ true bop kit with an 8-lug kick? 8 lugs on the 14? I've never seen that before. Not that I'm a stencil collector, but I had to inquire.

A quick call to the store verified the assumption, and left a hole in my wallet. Seller says the tiger eye/root beer swirl wraps are all intact, and the kit just needs a good cleaning and heads. Nothing missing. I pick these up next week. Yes, I called a second time to confirm the sizes. :^|

Gambles Import Corp drums, seems to be unsettled whether Pre-Pearl or Pre-Tama. These are the thicker lauan, non-rering variety. Painted grey on the inside, ala Gretsch. Yes, the badges even look RB-ish from a distance, don't they?

Regards,

John

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 7 years ago

LevelPebble is the best forum name!

Anyhow - this is a great find. Hope they didn't set you back too much. Love that wrap.

Funny if you think about it: Slingy looking lugs, round badge looking like Gretsch, Ludwig standard-ish or Rogers funky looking finish ... all wrapped up in a MIJ kit. I love it! Enjoy them.

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Nice find! Where is this kit located?

Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
1987 Pearl KC-3500 - jet black (22/16/13/12)
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 7 years ago

Made by Star 1968 or later.

You will be happy with the sound and the build - especially with the snare if it has the same shell.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

PLEASE document the heck out of that here. 18???? REALLY??

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

The snare looks to be a steel shell 14", badged the same Gambles, so likely born together. Crossing my fingers on it being an 18" bass and 14" FT.

John/Levelpebble

Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Fibes Copper Forte
Posted on 7 years ago

It looks like either 12/13/14/18 or 12/13/14/20. Nice find!

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 7 years ago

I saw that one too. Music Go Round, right?

If I didn't already have a Tiger Eye (Root Beer) kit, I would've given it a much closer look.

I hope they measured for you correctly at the store, but to me it sure looks like 12/13/16/20. Since the two rack toms are only an inch apart, there is very little of the 13" head showing when the 12" is stacked on top of it. If the floor tom was a 14", you would see very little of the head with the 13" stacked on top of it, so that says to me it's a 16", because there is way too much head showing for it to be a 14". Because of that, using the same principal, that would put the bass drum at 20".

Please let us know when you get it!

P.S. I am an MIJ "Stencil" Collector, and I have some 14" Floor Toms that are 8 lug, and some 20" bass drums that are 8 lug as well. They do exist, and I wouldn't even say they are necessarily "rare". Usually they are on the "higher" end stuff (if that even exists in the MIJ world) that just had typically better build quality.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes, I'm assuming it will turn out to be 12 13 16 20. Can't believe the guy can't measure right. Twice. We'll see tomorrow!

John/Levelpebble

Fibes Copper Forte
Posted on 7 years ago

Yeah, 20/16/13/12 was my guess as well. I'd be surprised if they were any smaller.

Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
1987 Pearl KC-3500 - jet black (22/16/13/12)
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here