Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Find of a lifetime

Greetings everyone. I just got started on the forum and thought I would post a couple pics of what I still can't believe I just found at an estate sale. The gentleman who was selling everything was the original owner of this 1962 Slingerland black/gold Niles badge 12/14/20 kit in blue ripple pearl, with matching Sound King 14x5 snare. The thing is, he basically hadn't touched it since the 60s. The kit is in better condition than most museum quality kits I've seen. Absolutely no pitting, rust, scratches, dings, or dents of any kind on any part of the kit. It has the original calf skin heads (bass drum batter and 12x8 resonant are split), rail consolette, bass mounted cymbal holder, bass drum anchor, etc. On top of that, everything he bought with the kit originally was included. All the hardware (artist series hihat stand, tempo king bass pedal, flush base cymbal stand, snare stand, and throne) are there. Even the throne is in perfect condition, soft read leather with no cracking whatsoever, and still has the screw that holds the throne position in place. It includes the original canvas bags, trap case, practice pad, most of his sticks, brushes (still in great shape), drum keys, rail mount ratchet key, cymbals (14" hihats, 18" crash, 20" ride) with the "medium" print still on them and no keyholing or cracking. He also happened to have a pair of black diamond "deep hand bongos" with the split calfskin heads still on them in their original matching canvas bag. The only thing keeping this kit from being a perfect 10 is a bit of buckling of the wrap behind some of the lugs on the bass drum. I also picked up a 60's Musser M250 concert grand 4.3 octave marimba, in great shape, which he was also the original owner of. I'm going to post a couple preliminary pictures, and I'll try to get some better ones up soon. Still can't believe it.

Posted on 14 years ago

I am stunned. Great drumset and it sounds like you truely appreciate it.

Isaac

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow !! That's a great find, something we all dream about. You didn't say how much you paid, but whatever it was (and really doesn't matter), it was worth it.

Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

Some advice...that ripple wrap, in addition to being rare, is very fragile.

The buckling of the wrap behind a couple lugs is real common with those rarer (and even some common) finishes from the late '50s and early '60s.

I would recommend NOT removing the lugs or hardware for cleaning in this case. The lug and other parts are sort of keeping that wrap in place.

Congrats on an amazing score!

Posted on 14 years ago

I see a Radio King practice pad over there on the side. Sweet!

Are you sure the finish ins't grey ripple? Looks grey in the pic, but I know how sometimes the camera can play tricks.

Congrats on the find!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

That's the kind of kit I dream of finding. I mean, it's not a model or the brand that I purposefully look for, but I do look for matching, original kits and it's an obvious fact that your find is matched and original with every little detail in place. That is a is a rarity, itself. And you've also got the provenance of the original owner, too. Of the many tons and tons of drums out there, that's the type of thing I only see rarely.

Congratulations on the find. I'm glad it has gone to someone who can really appreciate it.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

I'm no Slingerland guy....but, that is one good looking drum set! Don't ever split that thing up!

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

I hope you enjoy playing it.....You are going to play them....right?Cool1

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

your title says it all that is a awesome kit!!!! and the rest of the percussion stuff,is a home run!!!!Yes SirCool1Cool1

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

WoW! Great find!Bowing

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here