Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Finally Got A Craigslist Score That I Usually Only Read About On This Forum!

Greetings,

The drum gods were with me yesterday for sure.

See pictures below. Star "Round Badge" kit. 12/13/16/20. The wrap was taken off and a light lacquer was applied to all the shells. They are the thick shells with gray painted interiors. All 4 drums plus the 80's Yamaha strap drive pedal for ........$25!

They are in really good shape. The chrome should clean up really nicely! They are missing a few pieces, but otherwise complete. I'll be posting the parts I'm looking for in the "Wanted To Buy" section of this forum, so if you have them, let me know!

The 12" tom is only missing the large "T Knob" on the muffler.

The 13" is missing the triangular shaped bracket for the muffler, the large T knob, and the the long threaded screw with the round chrome head that sits on the outside of the drum (All the interior muffler parts are rolling around in the drum LOL!)

The 16" floor tom is only missing two reso side tension rods and the rubber feet for the legs.

The bass drum is missing 4 T-rods and claws on the front side, and the spurs (and wing screws to tighten the spurs in place, but the brackets are present).

Obviously, I"m very happy with my score! Usually I don't take on re-wrap projects, due to the cost of wrap and the general pain in the neck of installing the wrap. I think I can make an exception in this case, because my initial cost is so low, without a lot of work otherwise.

A few observations about this kit:

1. I've never seen a tom mount like that before. See photo 4. It fits over a "nub", and the gears on each side come together.

2. The bass drum interior is painted black (See Photo 5). Never seen that before either. Most likely a previous owner's handiwork, but why just the bass drum? The other drums have the factory gray interiors. Maybe they thought it "looked cool" with the clear front head. I'll leave it as is, just wanted to know if anyone had ever seen a factory black paint job before.

3. Is there something special about the spurs on this series of Star? Were they curved or anything? The brackets are up way high on the shell. I have some extra sets of 3/8" spurs, but mine are nowhere near long enough. I was going to get some solid, 3/8" metal rod at the hardware store and cut it to length. If these spurs are something more unique, maybe I'll try to replace them with official factory equipment. If anyone has a photo of what they should look like, please pass it along (Hi Ralf! :))

Again, I thank the drum gods for being with me yesterday (and for seeing the post within 15 minutes of it hitting Craigslist). I also thank all of you, for making this a great place to share my joy and enthusiasm with my fellow brethren!

Now what color to wrap them with? Suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe White Satin Flame or Blue Satin Flame. I had a Round Badge Star kit that was white satin flame that needed a lot of work and I never got around to fixing them up, so I sold them for the same price I bought them for. Even though the White Satin Flame was all beat up, it still looked really cool.

Enjoy!

V

5 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Photo of the complete muffler assembly. Very unique! The large "T- Knob" provides "instant on/off" for the muffler, much the same way a Ludwig Baseball Bat muffler does.

There is a small crack in the mounting plate of that one, nothing a little JB Weld, and a steady hand can't fix.

If I remember right, weren't you looking for one of these for awhile, shortyedwards?

I'm looking as well, and again I've posted in the "Wanted To Buy" Section of this forum.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

V

I think the spur rods are still straight like the usual

but are at least twice as long

I have seen the tom mount before and in the majority of cases

they are seen on Star made kits with the tear drop cloned lugs like those

is the cymbal arm mount the same over all shape as the tone controls (shaped like a small shield)

My Apollo kit has all the same hardware and was missing one of the two pieces that goes into the receiver on the tom and it was a good long while searching for one

as I could not even describe it to people properly

The black innards on the bass drum was a mod by a previous owner like you mentioned

he either used a clear resonant side head or took the front head off completely

Great score and best of luck with them

Posted on 7 years ago

Just noticed on your 12" tom one of your tension rods is wrong it is for a floor tom. Its pic 2 top left of star badge. I have basically every part you need but a small few on VDF dont want to buy the parts i sell as im supposedly a bit pricey. I tried selling to two members but i think they wanted me to give them away. If you want to find out how good my parts are ask shortyedwards. I have 10 floor tom rods... 2 spurs plus wing bolts..lots of top tom rods..plus lots of bass drum T rods plus claws. I also have the damper parts you need. Basically i have the lot......All the best......sean...ps im in the UK.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Kenwood

V is the cymbal arm mount the same over all shape as the tone controls (shaped like a small shield)Great score and best of luck with them

Thanks Kenwood! No cymbal mount on the bass drum, and there were no holes for one or evidence of holes for one. Looks like it came from the factory without one.

Posted on 7 years ago

Are the tom tension rods standard thread? I have seen ones like that set with fine threads-unique and made of unobtainium. DEFINITELY recover in Satin Flame of some kind. I don't think I have ever seen an early teardrop Star in anything BUT Satin Flame...

Posted on 7 years ago

Sorry i never mentioned your kit looks great in the natural shell finish. Im sure a flame style wrap would look great. As for parts i have the lot in one shot. As a bulk buy i will try to be as reasonable as i can. End of the day im not giving them away. But im sure some of the star guys like ralf etc etc will come along and probably help you out with parts.

Posted on 7 years ago

V

I was looking for one and did not see one after asking the question

I would say the lack of one and/or the extra holes from one is a good thing

as the upper portion of this particular cymbal arm I had in mind

is pretty darned hard to find

of the three or four Star made bass drums that have them in my group only one of them is complete

Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with Teverson about the satin flame. Also the unobtainium rods are like the trouble i had finding Hayman rods. I went to Nick Hopkins a personal friend of mine and i bought from him although they were £4.50 each i completed my kit. Dont panic I dont charge that much. Also as Kenwood stated the cymbal arms/mounts are hard to find. Yours didnt have one as its a double tom kit same as mine. I have 4 star kits one of which the parts are coming off.

Posted on 7 years ago

I do agree with Sean that a bass mounted cymbal arm and bracket

for use on a kit with double mounted toms is pretty impractical

And based on that reasoning I see now that most kits so appointed do not have them ...but as is always the case on these MIJs

There are the exceptions

This Majestic kit has the mount and the double toms

and the lugs are all the slingerland clones w the faucet handle t-rods

rather the usual Sonor clones found with the rest of this particular hardware scheme

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here