Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Filling holes in oyster Black Pearl wrap

I’m looking to fill a few small holes in the wrap on my two oyster black pearl kits. I want to do this to a very high standard and am considering a professional or may do this myself as I’m handy and meticulous. I am considering either cutting a piece or round wrap to be exactly the same size and trying my best to match the striations in the patten, or carefully painting the base of the hole to match the pattern and then filling the hole with some kind of clear gel. Finally scanning the wrap next to the hole and then using that to make a matching piece cut to the right size and then put into the hole and maybe again filled with the clear gel. Has anyone tried any of these? I would appreciate your experience on these.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Rob/ i have covered and repaired many kits with wrap- the BEST remedy in my personal experience is cutting a piece of donor wrap to the absolute precise size and gluing in/ then carefully dabbing clear around the 'seam'- (I use automotive urethane as I paint cars) but 'maybe' clear fingernail polish (if it's thin enough) would work- make sure you are meticulous and exact and the repair cannot be seen from about 2 feet away... sand ALL the edges with super fine grit before gluing in and make it fit 'exactly'... you can do it!

Posted on 5 years ago

Thank you that sounds a great way to do it. Very helpful.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Rob,

Are these holes due to the rail mount being moved at one time or? Really interested in this project; best wishes !

Posted on 5 years ago

On the 64 downbeat they are on the back of the small tom where strangely someone moved the tom bracket. On the 57 they are from a light that was fitted internally on the bassdrum to keep the calf head taught. Two holes underneath and a square switchhole on top. I almost wonder whether to keep these on the wfl.

Posted on 5 years ago

Rob,

Re: light bulb in bass drum. I have seen a great article on it but more on

20s and 30's bass drum for light effects, please see below.

http://www.polarityrecords.com/vintage-drum-kits-1920s-and-30s.html

You may want to rethink it and keep the hole and install a light in it. It certainly would be a unique item.

Just throwing in my 2 cents Cool1

Chris

Posted on 5 years ago

If you look back in repairs I did a long time ago you could not see it as I fauxed the holes the problem is as the wrap floats a bit as time goes by the outline of the repair shows as a with a wrap duchmen

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Rob,

I have done a repair similar to yours filling some holes in the bass drum of my Ludwig Oyster Black kit. I used wood dowels to fill the holes then painted the dowel end to match the pattern of the wrap. The repair looks great and from a few feet away it’s impossible to tell a repair was even done.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 5 years ago

James, that sounds very good. What type of paint did you use?. Did you basecoat in black then add the other colours?

Thank you.

Posted on 5 years ago

If you look at old thread of mine i faux it it with burn on kit for touch and repair if pianos I start with the gloss black stick than grain the pearl and white with artist brush find what you need wood finish silupplied Elk Grove you look my thread up no inlay lines gary mine u can’t tell close up

reliable.com

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here