Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Drums/Accessories Alternative Uses

So we have all seen old drum heads cut up and used as muffling rings, old bass drums used as coffee tables and maybe even a vistalite used as a fish tank. But what other creative/interesting things have you used or seen others use their drums and accessories for?

I myself have cut squares out of old drum heads wrapped em up with a dab of hockey tape to hold it as a tube and used it as cymbal sleeves in a pinch. It works pretty well actually.

But my all time favorite happened to me by accident today. I was coming out of my local drum shop and walked into a massive rain storm going to my car. Well let me tell you a 20 inch bass drum head box makes a fantastic umbrella... Remo Weatherking indeed LoLoLoLo

1973 Slingerland Phantom 13,16,22
Late 30s Slingerland Radio King- 7x14
SJC Custom Snare Pink Sparkle- 8x14
62 Slingerland COB Radio King- 5x14
Posted on 14 years ago

I used to use my drum rack to hang wet laundryExcited

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

A few thing's i have used old drum head's for.Tom head's ihave cut them up 1/2" x7" long and used them to hold the snare wire's on the snare drum..Also have used old bass head's cut them in round about 6" across and used them on the playing side of the drum drum were the beater hit's the drum..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

I save the metal flesh hoops from broken drumheads and use them to make the top and bottom hoops for a lampshade. I use painted artist paper for the shade material, punch holes near the upper and lower edges with a paper punch and lace the paper onto the hoops with some string. The only extra parts I need is some wire from a wire coat hanger and a metal washer about the size of a 50 cent piece with three extra holes drilled... Three piece of coat hanger wire with some "hooks" bent into the ends. One set of hooks goes into the three extra holes in the washer (the larger center hole in the washer goes onto the threaded post of lamp harp. The other ends of the coat hanger wire radiate to the flesh hoops and act like spokes on a wheel allowing the shade to connect to the lamp. And then the finial is screwed on the same way you would do with any other lampshade. Weird, huh? Hey, it was raining that day!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

It must have worked like a champ because it rained pretty hard in the 'Burgh!!

What is the local drum shop you speak of if you don't mind me asking? I know of the one in Blawnox, Piano's Anat. Just wondering.

Is that you selling the 60's champagne Luddy's on Pittsburgh CL? There is a blue Luddy snare on there too the guy wants 750 for..LOL.

have a wonderful evening

drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 14 years ago

From drumhack

It must have worked like a champ because it rained pretty hard in the 'Burgh!! What is the local drum shop you speak of if you don't mind me asking? I know of the one in Blawnox, Piano's Anat. Just wondering.Is that you selling the 60's champagne Luddy's on Pittsburgh CL? There is a blue Luddy snare on there too the guy wants 750 for..LOL.have a wonderful eveningdrumhack

it was good ole Drum World in Castle Shannon. No that's not me selling either luddy I'd be sure I listed it here too. That jagoff selling that blue sparkle has the exact same drum on eBay for 550 he is really trolling craigslist for some schmo to give him 750. He had it up for 800 last week lol

Posted on 14 years ago

I actually use my entire 4-piece kit to house my awesome dust collection. I've got dust from all over the state stored on it. But this probably is not a unique use. My Golden Retriever, Max, also stores some of his discarded, unwanted hair on it, too. Falling Do

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 14 years ago

My wife has been creative in utilizing my drums (in cases) around the house. My bass drum has a nice cloth cover with a vase and nic-nacs on it in the dining room, my trap case too. My floor tom also is covered with an cloth and displays photos in the entry way. Why buy more funiture when you have drm cases?

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Bass Drum Mufflers.

Most are not engineered correctly for a drummer. They're either too small or too clunky or just not stable enough.

That's where my cat comes in. She's perfect for taking "just the right amount" of ring out of my bass drums. Oh sure, I go through a lot of cats, but man, they are WAY cheaper than the alternative. Have you priced bass mufflers these days? They're outrageous! No way I'm paying that much for a freekin' muffler. No way. I'm a man of principle.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

Bass Drum Mufflers. Most are not engineered correctly for a drummer. They're either too small or too clunky or just not stable enough.That's where my cat comes in. She's perfect for taking "just the right amount" of ring out of my bass drums. Oh sure, I go through a lot of cats, but man, they are WAY cheaper than the alternative. Have you priced bass mufflers these days? They're outrageous! No way I'm paying that much for a freekin' muffler. No way. I'm a man of principle.

I have been waiting for a cat joke from you on this since I posted it Excited

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here