Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Drumcraft Drumkits

Hi to All,

Does anyone in the forum have any information on Drumcraft brand of drums? We have an old kit that we picked up years ago as my son's first kit. The lady we purchased it from believed her husband had bought it in the late 1960's but couldn't remember for sure. It's a beautiful Blue sparkle with a 20" bass.12" mounted tom and a matching 14" snare.We were able to pick up a 16" floor for it several years later that's blue pearl so its a future re wrap project. The kit has mounting hardware that looks a lot like late 60's Pearl but I,m not sure. The reason we have kept all these years is because of the sound. Its great for a small jazz combo or recording. If anyone one out there owns one or has any information on the company or this kit please let me know.I'm not planning on selling it, I would just like to have a little history lesson.

Thanks in Advance to All

Dad Roadie

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Dad;You,ve come to the right place.This is MIJ central,but we need pics especially the interior,and tom mount.This will tell us everything,and glad to hear you,re not selling.And because you indicated how you love the sound tells me you,re not a drum snob..Stick around Dad!!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Is this the drumcraft your speaking of ? also this snare drum is For Sale.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

From Dad Roadie

Hi to All,Does anyone in the forum have any information on Drumcraft brand of drums? We have an old kit that we picked up years ago as my son's first kit. The lady we purchased it from believed her husband had bought it in the late 1960's but couldn't remember for sure. It's a beautiful Blue sparkle with a 20" bass.12" mounted tom and a matching 14" snare.We were able to pick up a 16" floor for it several years later that's blue pearl so its a future re wrap project. The kit has mounting hardware that looks a lot like late 60's Pearl but I,m not sure. The reason we have kept all these years is because of the sound. Its great for a small jazz combo or recording. If anyone one out there owns one or has any information on the company or this kit please let me know.I'm not planning on selling it, I would just like to have a little history lesson. Thanks in Advance to All Dad Roadie

Hi Dad, If you could post a photo of one of the drums and a badge .I would be able to tell you all about your set...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi to All,

Thanks for all the help. I have hopefully uploaded a picture of the tom arm and the badge. The snare is the only drum that has the badge but the 12" tom and 20" bass drums hardware and color match perfect so I believe its all one kit. The drum drum has the cymbal mount on the side and we were lucky and got it with the kit. Like I mentioned before it has a great sound and doesn't overpower a small jazz group and records like a dream. Again thanks for all the help. Its great to belong to a forum where the common goal is to help each other. Thanks for letting the "old guy" in.

Dad Roadie

Posted on 13 years ago

Dad, By the two photos it would date you drums from 1972-5..These are made by Pearl most likey a 5 ply shell with-out rings...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the information Mikey!

Do you know if they make a lot of kits with just the single 12" mounted tom and no floor? I believe the lady said they had purchased the kit new but I often wondered if the floor tom was misplaced. I know Ludwig sold a lot of this style kit back in this time frame, did that hold true for the import kits also? I have not seen much information about this company and I'm just curious by nature.

The drums have a really good build quality. I had to smooth out the bearing edge on the tom a little and at some point I need to cut snare beds on the snare as it has none and its hard to control the buzz sometimes when he records with it. But its a great sounding drum set that seems to improve with age just like the American made kits.Again thanks to you and everyone in the forum for all the help!

Have a great weekend!

Dad Roadie

Posted on 13 years ago

The stencil market is strange. You never know if this kit was delivered with or without a floor. Many combo's did come sans floor tom, and this should actually have been, if it had a floor tom to begin with, a 14x14. You should have no problem finding a 16" floor tom in blue sparkle, because, honestly, the value of MIJ stencils does not merit a re-wrap. Do the shells have reinforcement rings, or not? A 16x15 or 16 should be had for around 30-50 bucks, and wrap alone for just that drum would be like 75-90, and you will never be able to get close to a match as no one makes a wrap anywhere near that color today. Just ask in our "Wanted" section, chances are you will find one right here for about the money I suggest.

Good luck and Cheers!

Finding a 14, on the other hand, if you find someone willing to let it go, will run 100++...just the market on all 14 floor toms, American, European, Eastern Bloc, MIJ, Argentinian, no matter, all 14" floor toms bring more than any other single drum, nest to snares, and maybe 18" bass drums.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

jonnistix, in my opinion, is right on the money! I recently acquired another MIJ stencil, in this case a Tempo set. Although the wrap was in mint condition, the bass hoop inserts were missing. To try and find the matching blue sparkle match is next to impossible. As John mentions, you may be better off looking for a vintage floor in this colour. This task would probably be a lot less expensive and easier in the long run.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi to All,

Thanks for all reply's. I was able to get a 16" tom several years ago that matched the hardware, lugs, and bearing edges etc. Its in a Blue Satin instead of the Blue Sparkle of the rest of the kit so it doesn't look to bad . The 12"/16" combination actually is very easy to get a good tuning interval with. Someday I hope to recover the 16" to match the rest of the set for him but that's a future project.When its complete I'll post a picture. Thanks again to everyone in the forum.

Dad Roadie

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here