Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Downbeat

Does any one know what happened to them? Are there any left ?

I’m thinking there over seas , I’d like to own one before I go

In pink champagne

I think it’s one of the prettiest colors in that configuration ,

What the take on this highly prized kit..?

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

I love them! I have a red sparkle Downbeat kit with a matching Downbeat snare drum. Two words in the vintage drum world ALWAYS get my attention "Jazzette" and "Downbeat"!

ANY complete kits are rare to find these days. And any particularly desirable kits such as the Downbeat are even rarer because they have been collected already. The Downbeat is probably the perfect size combination....very versatile!

Unless someone sells one from their collection, at best you might find a pieced together/refinished kit in the Downbeat configuration. But don't hold your breath to find a complete kit anymore.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

What's so special or rare about a Downbeat? I've had several.

There's one on San Antonio cl in a wmp finish, but it's missing the 14x14 floor, it does however have a Pioneer snare. Here's one I use to own sitting next to my Trixon kit. Now there's something you don't see everyday.Cool1

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

That red sparkle kit is a Club Date. Nice though!

Mike

Posted on 2 years ago

I only see Hollywood’s and Super Classics sold locally. I haven’t seen a Downbeat for sale for years, except at Revival.

That being said, I’m playing my Downbeat tonight and my Jazzette tomorrow. I got them both about 12 years ago.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 2 years ago

From mlayton

That red sparkle kit is a Club Date. Nice though!Mike

Oops, of course it is, I saw Downbeat, but my brain saw Club Date.DOH

Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

I love them! I have a red sparkle Downbeat kit with a matching Downbeat snare drum. Two words in the vintage drum world ALWAYS get my attention "Jazzette" and "Downbeat"!ANY complete kits are rare to find these days. And any particularly desirable kits such as the Downbeat are even rarer because they have been collected already. The Downbeat is probably the perfect size combination....very versatile!Unless someone sells one from their collection, at best you might find a pieced together/refinished kit in the Downbeat configuration. But don't hold your breath to find a complete kit anymore.

Here's one on eBay right now. "Catalog" finish. Numbers indicate the 14x14 may have been added later (???), but all match well. It seems to me they appear fairly regularly (though without the 4x14 snare), but the distinct exception is when you see the oyster black pearl finish. That's when the price jumps significantly and the rarity enters the picture.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From johnnyringo

What's so special or rare about a Downbeat? I've had several.There's one on San Antonio cl in a wmp finish, but it's missing the 14x14 floor, it does however have a Pioneer snare. Here's one I use to own sitting next to my Trixon kit. Now there's something you don't see everyday.Cool1

Rare in oyster black for sure and very expensive. Special part is, at a minumum, the sound. One of the most recorded sets in history. It set a benchmark for the sound that an entire world embraced for several years.

I think both the 14x14 and bass drum were very distinquishable when Ringo appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Probably no muffling and just a really nice wide open sound. Similarly, when John Densmore was hitting a Downbeat set for the Doors (though I've read that Light My Fire was recorded on a Gretsch kit).

I'd very much like to have a Downbeat, but I haven't found one recently at a price and finish that has caused me to hit the buy button.

Posted on 2 years ago

Dan, when I said that for some reason I was thinking about a Club Date kit, my apologies. I did have a few Downbeats, but they weren't in collectors condition. Here's the last on I had in a champagne sparkle finish.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Very nice kit jr , bet you wish that one was still with you ?

drool ….

I have a very minty downbeat snare waiting to find the rest lol

I have been looking for a while , no cigar .

Had a very clean black oyster pearl snare

sold it in the fevor days but did not sound nice must of been edges

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here